Chapter 36: Flames

!!WARNING: 18+ scenes up ahead!! (meaning they're gonna do the papapa~)I'll put a ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) at the start scene and ε-('・`) フ at the end scene, so if you wanna skip it, just look for this kaomoji -> ε-('・`) フ

Stepping out from the secret tunnel, a burst of cool air hits my face. The inky black sky is plastered with twinkling stars. Fires are blazing brightly on the far side of the horizon. The pleasant scent of grass wafts in the air mixed with a hint of soil.

Greedily, I take a deep breath before pulling my hood low over my face. Eidolons flank my sides closely. We have left Yi Xin Temple behind us when we spot a group of several dozen armed cavalrymen waiting ten zhang away.

With just one glance, I find the captain familiar. He seems to be Murong Yu's personal guard. As I draw near, he nods and I jump on a horse, following him. Cavalrymen immediately join me and ride beside me, putting some distance between me and the Eidolons.

The geography flattens as we advance. In the dark of night, the endless stretch of flatland before me is solid black. This team hasn't lit any torches either so we traverse the lightless gloom without a sound.

I feel like we are making a big detour. The wind whooshes by my ear and the grass under the horse hooves swishes. It's been a long time since I last felt the cool night breeze like this. I think I would feel even better if only I wasn't surrounded by soldiers and on the way to meet that person.

Light and the camp gradually come into view and I hear people conversing. The captain urges his horse forth and enters through a side entrance. I nudge my horse with my legs and catch up to him.

The captain explained to me on the way, that this is behind the front, a bit more than ten li away from the battle formations, and is the campsite for military logistics. The security is tight but nowhere as tight as the front where the soldiers sleep with their weapons as their pillows. Dressed in travel attire, I hide myself with the wind cloak and sneak my way in with the marshal's personal guards.

We dismount and the captain draws back a tent flap. The soldiers and Eidolons spread out behind us, still eyeing each other warily. Wordlessly, I try to enter but the captain bars my way with his arm. "No weapons allowed inside."

I chuckle, not showing surprise, and pull out the small dagger from my waist before passing it to him.

I'm already in their camp, what is the point of keeping it. I mean, if he really wanted to take my life, a measly dagger wouldn't be enough to stop him.

The tent turns out to be quite big, one made of cowhide and held up by nine poles, but the interior is actually very simple. There are only chairs, a desk and an army-style rug on the ground. The captain comes in behind me. "Make yourself comfortable, please, while I notify His Highness."

I only smile, not wanting to speak, and he backs out of the tent. After seeing the flap lowered, I take off my cloak, take a seat and pour myself some tea. I hold it between my hands that have gone numb from the night chill.

He and I exchanged letters several times during the day and finally agreed on meeting in secret at night to discuss the issues at hand. Being in the enemy's territory comes with its risks. I made Pei Yuan shut the palace gates and forbade anyone from entering or exiting. Additionally, I entrusted a secret decree to Liu An, if I do not return due to unforeseen circumstances, then the capital will be handed over to Heng Ziyu, including the throne.

He has been after it for so long. So as long he is willing to be responsible for all of the people of Great Rui and give them a good life, I will give it to him. Born a commoner, he should be able to empathies with the people more than I could.