Chapter Eighteen

"Zayn."

I don't recall ever saying it but just barely hear it in a whisper. He stands by his bike, only an arm reach away, clenching and unclenching his fists. A nervous habit I've noticed of his. He gives me the smallest smile and adds a little wave of his hand.

I feel my cheek turn upward but stop. I can't forgive Zayn. He left me to fend for myself. Left me stranded in an area that I'm not familiar with, even after promising me we'll do better together. This is not a turn in the right direction.

"H-hi Josie." Zayn stutters. I have never heard Zayn speak nervously. Act nervous, yes, but to stutter? Never.

"Zayn." I say loudly. I attempt to show little emotion to prove I am not pleased with him, not even the slightest. I keep my gaze steady as he rocks back and forth on his heels.

There's a definite tension between us. A strong, awkward, angry tension. I, however, don't want to speak with him. Actually, I really want to talk with him. We've been having such a lovely time since that big argument, it's hard to not want to talk with him, to instead try to ignore what he did. I want to hear his voice and take in his scent. I want to keep him close and hold him tight. I want to forgive him and tell him I still want to be with him.

But he obviously has other thoughts.

"Josie listen, I can explain why I-"

"What, why you left me? Why you thought it was okay to leave me alone somewhere you know I've never been? Right as the police show, too! And everything was cool between us. Now, please humor me on why you thought this was a pleasant idea. I'd just love to know." I chuckle humorlessly.

I cross my arms over my chest and watch him. Zayn sighs and breaks eye contact with me. He licks his lips and steps toward me when there's a rustling from where I ran came out of the woods. Suddenly I remember Vinnie. I kicked him in the balls, he'll be beyond pissed. Sure enough, Vinnie appears, giving me the biggest smile.

I glance to Zayn and a look of anger appears. He watches as Vinnie approaches and focuses back to me. Why is he angry at Vinnie? They left me. Together. If he was angry at Vinnie, he would of stayed instead of ditching me. Or at least that's what I'd assume.

"Vinnie," Zayn says. Vinnie turns his head to face him. "what the hell are you doing here?"

"Oh, you know." He speaks nonchalantly. "Coming to win the grand prize." Zayn makes a sound like he choked. When I look to him, he appears flustered and angry. The two of them look ready to kill.

I ignore their behavior, although it is a little strange. I scowl at Vinnie, annoyed with his behavior towards me. "Go fuck yourself, Vinnie."

"Well, aren't you feisty." He smirks. "And here I thought you'd be easy." He watches Zayn with a mischievous look. When I face him, he glances towards me and freezes. His eyes dart away from me and again, he becomes flustered and unsure of himself.

What the hell is going on? I have never witnessed Zayn more terrified and nervous. Not even when he got into that fight with Vinnie or when I practically screamed at him. I am sick and tired of being pushed to the shadows, not knowing anything. I can handle the truth and harshness. I am most defiantly not a child so there's no need to treat me like one.

While the two of them start to bicker over something petty, I butt in.

"Okay! You two can fucking stop! I don't have the slightest clue as to what you two are talking about! You two are hot and cold. One minute you're joking and than you despise each other." I stand with my hands on my hips, completely fed up. "I am constantly ignored and treated like a toddler who doesn't know anything. Treat me like I fucking deserve, I am 17 not a damn 3 year old! I want to know what is going on and you both appear to know something I don't. So one of you better fucking start talking."