Chapter 8: Dreams

Stein's POV 

It's been around a week or so since Anne ran off from the meeting we had with Lord Death, and I found her in the basement of the DWMA caught in the snare of a hallucination. I wasn't sure if it was from a memory or something else. Looking at her as I was sitting at one of the desks in the infirmary. Being the one who took over her job for a little bit since she's been unconscious for so long. 

I heard the door open, and then I felt the familiar soul. "Hey, Stein." It was Spirit. Turning a little in my chair to look at him, his face was bent to a frown. He sighed gently at me before he turned to see her in the bed. 

"Still no change?" he asked and I turned fully around in my chair, looking at him as he walked over to her. Shaking my head a little as my bangs moved around. 

"No, she's still in her unconscious state. Her vitals are all normal, so I'm not sure what's going on." I said. He hummed gently before I felt his hand on my shoulder. Looking at him he gave a small smile. 

"Get some rest, and eat Stein. You can't help her if you're running on fumes yourself." he said. Nodding a little as he walked out of the room I looked at her vitals again and charted them before I looked at the clock. Deciding that I could get a small nap in and a small recharge. Laying on the bed next to where she was laying, I looked at the ceiling for a second before I was taken over by sleep. 

Anne's POV 

For the moment I was surrounded by darkness. I don't know where I was aside from that but ever so often there would be some lights and then some faint voices that would show up.

Seeing them and floating over to see what they were about, some were happy, and while others were the complete opposite.

The majority of them I was seeing myself as a child in 3rd person. Almost like it was some kind of out of body experience or something. There were a few of them that stuck out the most.

Getting to one of them I heard the familiar voice I had longed to forget. "Get rid of her, she's nothing but a freak!" I recalled the sting of the tears that had flooded my eyes and threatened to pour down my face.

I could feel my heart pounding in my chest in my child self and it reflected in my now adult body. Clenching my jaw a little as I looked at what was going on, this memory would fade in and out. Something I noticed for the memories that I didn't remember quite as well.

Seeing a figure that was shadowed out and nothing more than a silhouette, I wondered who it could have been.  Looking between my younger self and the silhouette of a man, I could see and feel the fear in my own body. I must have blocked out the identity of the person at a young age to protect myself from whatever memories he caused.

Looking around there was a woman, middle aged and fit with the worry lines and wrinkles of someone much older than her. She had looked like me so I had thought she was my mother. Her frown was tight as she looked down at me from behind the man. Was this man my father, or a low life boyfriend of the woman?

I watched as he walked toward my young self. Something that I had feared would happen, feeling my heart rate sky rocket, I gulped as I backed away from him before hitting a wall.

"You make me so disgusted to know you as a person, you're nothing but trash!" He sneered at me before his hand rose to hit me. I watched as a smaller hand grabbed his wrist and his arm.

He turned slowly with his brows furrowed to look at who it was. Following the gaze it was the lady. I was a little more sure she was my mother. He turned his rage on her and shoved her off of him. "Don't touch me."

He stepped to her like he had done to me only moments prior before his hand came up again and he struck her, making her hit the floor and hold her face when her hand.

Soon the fear in my own heart turned to something else, something that a child shouldn't feel, unless it's towards a video game or something. Feeling the heat rise in my face and I watched my fists close before my feared expression turned into hatred.

I watched as he rose his hand again to hit her another time, though this time I drive between them and held my hands above my head, while something started to glow.

Stein's POV

Hearing the sound of intense beeping my eyes snapped open and I sat up before I looked at the heart monitor. My green eyes landed on it and the vitals were beyond normal rhythms.

Getting up from the bed I went to s drawer and opened it before grabbing a small syringe and opening the sterile plastic it came in. Walking over to Anne, I put the needle into a valve and injected the fluid. Immediately she started to relax and everything went to a normal pace.

Putting the needle cap back in it and putting it in the sharps bin I sat on my stool. Turning my screw and hearing the clicking I looked at the young woman in the bed. Hey chest rising and falling gently with her breathing. That was the first time I had to sedate her.

What in Death's name was happening?