Slow Returning Memory

Irina shook her head as flashes of a Star-Spangled Man flooded her mind. The vision shifted to a small, skinny boy and the brunette let out a frustrated groan. What was the man's name and why couldn't she remember?

She slipped on an old bomber jacket she'd stolen from Bucky and a black baseball cap and made her way to the Smithsonian to see the Captain America exhibit. She enjoyed going as it sometimes helped spark long-buried memories.

She ducked her head and found the plaque she was looking for and pulled out her notebook before writing a name. Steve Rogers. She read the inscription and added more to the name she'd written. My best friend, Captain America.

Irina wandered until she found the plaque and inscription of Bucky and a soft smile crossed her face. As she stared at his picture, a fluttering grew deep within her chest. While she didn't totally understand everything, she knew he made her happy and she was glad they were going through the same thing and could help each other.

She found her plaque and inscription and read it. 'Irina Alexeyev, known to her superiors as Irene Alexander, and to her fellow soldiers as Rina, escaped from Russia in the winter of 1942 and came to Ellis Island in the middle of the war to gain a better life. Much of her early life is unknown. She quickly befriended Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes and the three were inseparable. In 1943, she joined the war as a soldier against regulation. According to accurate sources, Barnes and Alexeyev exchanged a confession of love before their final fight against HYDRA. Irina Alexeyev is one of two Howling Commandos to give her life for this country.'

She stared at her picture for a long moment before leaving.

Irina made her way back to the tiny apartment she and Bucky had and she began looking at the notes she'd written in her notebook.

Bucky walked up behind her and asked, "What is- What are you looking at?"

She held up her notebook. "I went to the Captain America Smithsonian exhibit."

"Again? How many times is the now?"

"I've lost track. But it kind of helps the memories."

"Did it this time?"

"Memories of you, kind of yes. I know, I don't know how, but I know I love you. Memories of," she looked at her notebook, "Steve, no."

"Steve. You, me and him were best friends, right?"

"That's what they inscription said. I just wish I remembered him."

"You and me both, doll."

Irina stared up at Bucky. "What'd you call me?"

"Doll. Why? Is that bad? Is it wrong?"

"No, nothing of the sort. It's just... It's familiar."

"A good familiar or a bad familiar?"

"Definitely a good familiar."

Bucky smiled and she returned his smile before looking back at her notebook as her expression turned to that of a frown.

Bucky hesitated a moment, then said in a questioning tone, "Marry me?"

"Marry you?" Irina asked.

He nodded. "We've basically been together for years. What do you think?"

Irina smiled. "I think it's a splendid idea. But let's not do the ceremony yet. I want to remember more of our past."

"That sounds like a great idea."

Bucky returned her smile and kissed her. The two had always been a little more affectionate, but a kiss like that hit different for them both.

Six months later, the two spoke their vows.

A short while later, Irina found out she was expecting, making the newly married couple extremely delighted.