Chapter 8 Christmas Ball

Chapter 8

Christmas Ball

 The days passed very quickly.

            I said yes to Francis and sorry to Leo. I hope he finds a date. He’s really a nice guy. Me and Ethan both agreed to teach our partners the dance and present it n the actual dance---like no practice together. He said that he already asked someone. I kept forcing him to tell me who she is but he always says that ‘It’s a surprise’. Ugh, who could that be? Anyway, we both agreed that we will substitute the dance step where we dance solo to the exchanging partners. We practiced what the exchanged partners will dance and taught it to our partners.

            Tonight is the big night. The night of the Christmas Ball. I can finally know who Ethan’s date is. My Mom bought my dress. I wore a beautiful, glamorous, and fabulous-- there aren’t enough words to describe it—pink dress. The fabric is so soft and comfortable. Francis gave me a ride to school since he is my date. He is so handsome in his tuxedo. It’s good that he’s my date but I still prefer Ethan.

            “Wonder who Ethan’s date is?” I said to Francis on the way to school.

            “I don’t know. He doesn’t talk about it. Allie, can I ask you a question?” He blushed and then he seems a little embarrassed.

            “Sure.” Somehow I feel like I would regret saying that.

            “I know this is a little personal. Is Ethan courting you?”

            I laughed. “Oh no, we are just friends. Really close friends.” He looked at me like I said nothing so I continued. “What? He’s my Best friend.”

            “So I can court you?”

I was shocked. For a brief second I looked for a way to avoid the question. Then I saw that we were at school now. “Look we’re here. Let’s go.” The music was so loud that I have to shout.

We presented our tickets at the admission, they gave us our mask and we joined the others. I was so glad that he didn’t press the question further. I don’t know what to say. I wore the mask. Then I suddenly remembered that I have to find who Ethan’s date is.

“Francis, can you wait for me here? I’m just going to see something.”

“Ok.”

            This search is going to be hard. Everyone is wearing mask. I scanned the crowd for them but found nothing. Maybe I should just wait for the Dance Presentation that way it will be easy. I went back to Francis and enjoyed the party.

            “Ladies and Gentlemen may I have your attention,” the announcer said. Everyone’s attention turned to him. “Good I have everyone’s attention. There will be a special dance number from our Regional Dance Competition winners and their dates. Allie Salvante, Francis Ferrer”—Francis and I moved forward to the dance floor when our name was called—“Ethan Campbell and Cassandra Vallda.”

            I froze. Cassandra was his date! Of all the girls he could ask he chose her. Doesn’t he value our friendship? Why Cassandra? Why her?

            “Allie! It’s time to dance.” Francis removed me from the thought, from the agony.

            That’s right we have a dance to perform. I have to dance better than her. Well I already dance better than her but her partner is Ethan, a Regional Champion like me. Who knows what effects will that have.

            “Let’s go. Please keep up with me,” I pleaded.

The music started and of course, we started dancing. I danced as gracefully as I can. They danced gracefully, too considering that Ethan was there. Then the music drifted to the part where the exchange is going to happen. We exchange partners and Ethan was now dancing with me while Francis was dancing with Cassandra.

“Enjoying the party and of course your date?” he asked.

“Yes, I am enjoying this party and you know Francis is such a nice guy. How about you are enjoying the party and your…date?” I said as sarcastically as I could.

He smiled. “You were surprised, weren’t you? Of course I am enjoying.”

“Yeah I am surprised. Really Ethan, Cassandra?” I was angry now.

“Cassandra’s a nice person once you got to know her.”

“Francis’ nice, too. And I think he likes me. He asked if he could court me. Maybe I’ll say yes.” I really shouldn’t have said that. I just can’t help it.

Then I heard it, our cue in the music to exchange partners again. “Bye,” I said as I danced towards Francis. But before I reached him Ethan caught me and we danced together again.

 “What are you doing?” I asked him. I looked at Francis and Cassandra. It seems like they continued dancing together when we didn’t exchange. Maybe Cassandra went back to him when Ethan caught me, not that I cared.

“I can’t let you go,” he answered.

The music drifted into a stop and so is the dance. I looked up to Ethan. I tried to make sense of what he said. He can’t let go of me? I thought he was just my friend, my best friend. I have to set this aside for now and do the right thing. I started walking towards Francis. Coming back to him was the right thing to do since he’s my date. But as Ethan saw what I was doing he grabbed my hand and dragged me outside. He let go of me when we were finally alone.

“You’re not going to say anything?” he asked.

I stared at him with wide eyes. “I don’t know where to start. What have you done? Why didn’t you let the exchange happen? You could have ruined the dance.”Hysteria was starting to surface in my voice and I tried to control it.

“I’ve already told you why. I can’t let you go.” There was something in his eyes that I couldn’t see.

“That doesn’t make sense. You like Cassandra that’s why you asked her. I can see that in the way you dance together. And I thought I was just your….friend.” I was whispering now.

 “No, I asked Cassandra to make you jealous. Because I knew that you don’t like her and that would make you more jealous.”

He was almost right. It’s not that I don’t like Cassandra. I just feel that she doesn’t like me so if she doesn’t like me then I don’t like her either. “But why would you do that?” It still didn’t make sense.

“Isn’t it obvious, I like you. No, I love you,” he declared.

For the second time on this night I froze. He loved me. I don’t know what to say. I’ve always thought that he thought of me as a Friend. Now I realize that what I wasn’t seeing in his eyes was love.

“Allie?”

“I…” I didn’t finish my sentence. Instead I ran away.