Chapter 9 Return

Chapter 9

Return

As I walked to school I thought about what happened last year.

The year passed by but many things were left hanging. The most important of them is ‘What will I say to Ethan?’Others are just backgrounds. The fight between Sheila and me. Should I forgive her? Christmas should be the season of forgiving. We shouldn’t hold grudges but it so hard to forget what she did. No, what they did. I really don’t know what to do.

Last year I’ve experienced many things I never dreamt I would. I’ve been subjected to pain, sadness, happiness and…love. I never thought things would happen to me. My life now has taken its turn.

“Happy New Year,” someone said.

I looked to see who it is and found out that it was Sheila. She’s not angry with me anymore. I should forget this anger and forgive her.  “Happy New Year. The vacation is so short. I’m still not ready to go to school yet.”

            “Yeah, you’re right,” she agreed.

We’ve reached our room and sat down our usual chairs. Then I saw him. Ethan was now walking towards me. I still don’t know what to say to him. I have to avoid him.

“Sheila can you do me a favor. Please accompany me to the bathroom.” Sheila and I got up and started walking. I looked back to see Ethan’s face and I could read disappointment in his eyes. And when I looked at Sheila I could read real curiosity in her eyes.

“Don’t ask,” I said before she started intriguing me.

            I’ve avoided him now but how about later. I can’t avoid him forever. We still have to practice for the National Competition. I can’t avoid him there.

            Through out the day I avoided him as much as possible. Shanel, Cassandra and everyone else that was involved in the fight treated me like nothing ever happened. Like there was no fight. Maybe it’s for everybody’s own good, too. I should forget the anger but I doubt that I will forget the pain.

            I didn’t wait for Ethan. I just went to the dance studio alone. I paced there back and forth thinking of what I will do when Ethan arrives. I can’t avoid him here. Just then he walked through the door and I stopped pacing.

            “Why didn’t you wait for me?” he said casually.

            “Oh no, porque no sé qué decir,” I mumbled. I don’t know what even made me say that.

            “Can you stop talking Spanish? You know I can’t understand you.”

            “Um… I’ll just buy a drink.” That wasn’t going to last forever. I still have to come back here. But it still buys me time. I started walking towards the door but he caught me and pushed me lightly towards the mirror. I am now cornered. I have nowhere else to go to.

            “I know you’re avoiding me. Please stop. I can’t take it.”

            Still I didn’t say anything. I can’t seem to find my voice.

            “We can just forget that day never happened. Please,” he pleaded.

            When I still didn’t say anything he started walking towards the door. “Wait,” I said.  He stopped walking so I continued. “I’m sorry.” I was crying now.

            He turned around. “It’s okay. Just stop avoiding me. We can go back to just being Best friends. Let’s just forget what happened that night. I’d rather have you as a friend than lose you.”