Your Will Shall Decide Your Destiny (Part 1)

Y/N's POV

I walked steadily to the Matron's office, no idea why she wanted to see me. I couldn't be being placed out again, not after being sent back for the eighth time. No this must be something else. Maybe I'm being sent away to a different asylum, one where Matron won't have to deal with me anymore. I stopped in front of the door to her office when I noticed another girl, her red hair hanging down her back in two messy braids.

"Hey Anne, you've been summoned before the dragon to?" I smiled at her. I didn't get an answer though because the next thing I knew the office door swung open and we were both inside Matron's office.

"Anne Shirley, Y/N L/N, you two have caused more trouble at this asylum than I ever thought possible." I decided to hold my tongue at that statement, mainly because even I couldn't deny the truth. Instead I just looked over at Anne who was being uncharacteristically quiet and was looking down at her feet. "Neither of you seem capable of holding a placement for more than a few months, so I've decided to try you somewhere else. You will be going to live with the Cuthbert's in a town called Avonlea as daughters to them. They are a brother and sister and live on a farm called Green Gables. Do not let me see you gracing these halls again. Now go and gather your belongings you leave within the hour." I bobbed need head and turned before walking back to my dorm and grabbing the old carpet bag from under my bed. Not that I had many belongings to put in it. An old mans shirt that had been given to me in place of a nightdress, a ragged cloth doll I'd made out of scraps of fabric when I was meant to be mending clothes when I was out on placement, and a small tin full of glass like stones that I had carried for as long as I could remember. I snapped my bag shut before pulling my shoes on and grabbing the cloth cap that hung of the post of my bed. That was another reason that most people at the asylum didn't like me, I refused point blank to wear dresses, instead insisting on old clothes from the boys wing, shorts and old shirts that were miles to big for me but at least they felt comfortable.

I met Anne at the doorway and we both walked down the stairs to meet Mrs. Spencer.

"Goodness gracious Y/N, you should have put on a dress, you need to make a good impression on the Cutherberts."

"Sorry Mrs. Spencer but I refuse to show up as somebody I'm not. They will either like me for being different or they won't but I won't pretend to be someone I'm not."

"You are an insufferable child aren't you, I've no doubt we'll be seeing you back here soon enough. As for you Anne, try to hold your tongue and I've no doubt the Cuthbert's will take a liking to you." I felt my anger starting to build but simply clenched the hand that wasn't holding my bag into a fist, feeling my anger start to dissipate as my nails dug into the soft flesh of my palm. "Right then girls, come along, we'd best get going or we'll miss the train." We left the asylum and got into the awaiting cart to take us to the station. As we started to move I looked back and the miserable building I'd had to call home for the last 13 years, not sad in the slightest to be leaving it behind me.

A few hours later we were sat on the train, staring at the landscape that flew by through the window while absentmindedly playing with my hair while Anne sat opposite me.

"Are you quite alright dear?" Mrs Spencer's voice brought me back into the train compartment and I noticed the panicked state that Anne was in. The girl turned to Mrs. Spencer before replying.

"I like imagining better than remembering. Why are the worst memories the most insistent?"

"I wouldn't know. Try to rest. And Y/N will you sit up and stop playing with your hair, you've knocked you cap off and your hair is all messy now." I sighed before sitting straighter and running my fingers through my hair to untangle it before pulling my cap back onto my head, going back to looking out of the window while Anne carried on speaking.