Your Will Shall Decide Your Destiny (Part 5)

Y/N's POV

Mr Cuthbert must know some sort of magical spell because after talking to Anne she came downstairs, ready to apologise to Mrs Lynde. 

"I'm also sorry for shouting at you Y/N. I didn't mean to make you upset or hurt your feelings at all." She said.

"It's okay Anne." I smiled.

The next morning Mrs Cuthbert took me and Anne to Mrs Lynde's house.

"Rachel, I believe Anne has something she wishes to say to you." Mrs Cuthbert said before Anne threw herself at Mrs Lynde's feet.

"Oh, Mrs. Lynde, I am so extremely sorry! I could never express my sorrow, no, not even if I used up a whole dictionary. I behaved terribly to you, and I've disgraced my dear friends the Cuthberts, who may let me stay at Green Gables even though I'm not a boy! I am a dreadfully wicked and ungrateful girl, and I deserve to be punished and cast out by respectable society forever! It was awful of me to fly into a temper because you told me the truth. And it was the truth. Every word you said was true. My hair is red and I am freckled and skinny and ugly! Now, what I said to you was true, too, but I shouldn't have said it! Oh, Mrs. Lynde, please, please say you can forgive me! If you refuse, oh, it'll be a lifelong sorrow on a poor little orphan girl. Please say you forgive me, Mrs. Lynde!" 

Mrs Lynde looked down at Anne in shock before looking over at me. I just stood there and nodded, trying to back up Anne's words.

"There, there. Get up, child. Of course, I forgive you. I guess I was a little hard on you, and your sister, but I'm just an outspoken person. You mustn't mind me, that's what I say." Mrs Lynde said.

I zoned out of the rest of the conversation thinking about what Mrs Lynde had called me. She thought I was Anne's sister. A sister. I'd never thought about it but I guess if me and Anne both stayed at the Cuthberts we would be sort of sisters. I might have a hope of a family after all.

That evening at supper Mr Cuthbert came in with some news for us.

"You've got an invitation to tea... tomorrow afternoon. Barry's. They want to meet Anne and Y/N."

Miss Cuthbert started panicking as she hadn't finished off my waistcoat or Anne's dress yet, while Anne asked the question that was on my mind.

"Who are the Barrys and why do they want to meet us?"

"They are our neighbours. A very respectable family. Hem. Buttons. You'll want to be on your best behaviour." Miss Cuthbert spoke as she looked in a tin for buttons to go on my waistcoat.

"But why do they want to meet us?" I asked, beating Anne to speak for the first time.

"They have two little girls who are very well-mannered." Miss Cuthbert replied

"Do they... need help?" Anne asked worriedly. I had the same concern. Were we about to be sent to work?

"Diana is the girl nearest your age." Mr Cuthbert started before Miss Cuthbert finished for him.

"If you stay here, perhaps you two will become friends."

Me and Anne sat there slightly in awe. We might make a proper friend.

Miss Cuthbert began to read off a long list of rules we had to follow while we were at the Barrys.

"Now Remember your manners. Sit up straight. Speak only when spoken to. No startling speeches. Anne? What's wrong? Are you ill?"

I looked over to see Anne looking almost scared and wondered if she was remembering those horrible girls who tormented her at the asylum.

"No, Miss Cuthbert. I'm fine. Don't worry. I'll be quiet as a mouse."