Chapter 12: You Will Never Know

Hikari skilfully hid herself and watched Leyon step out of his apartment complex. She had been secretly stalking him for three complete days. She even memorized his schedule, starting from when he would leave to when he would come back. That same day, she hesitated to meet with him again. She didn't know how to approach him.

Hikari had finally found her Leyon. But now what? What was she supposed to do now? Leyon didn't seem to remember her. He thought of her as a stranger. How was she going to confront him? If she ran up to him and told him she was Hikari, what would be his reaction? What would he say to her? It had been ages since they last saw each other. Would it be too strange? Would he perhaps blame her for everything that happened in the past?

Ah, my head is about to burst! I can't think anymore.

An hour later, Hikari found herself standing before the door leading to Leyon's room, hesitating. It had taken her a lot of confidence to get to where she was now. But the moment she reached there, what crossed her mind was instant regret. She felt like a thief, trespassing on the place when the owner was away. It would have been better if she waited for him to return, so she could try introducing herself to him. Hikari heaved a sigh, suddenly feeling the urge to beat herself for being too impatient, but then gave up when she realized she had been waiting for three whole days, trying to gather up the strength to face him.

Her head was burning, and her thoughts were a mess. She didn't know what to do anymore. Hikari leaned against the door, letting her body slide down slowly to the floor. She sat there, resting her head on her knees, deep in thought.

.

.

.

The sound of staggering footsteps could be heard coming from the dark corridors of the apartment floor. Hikari jolted wide awake and leapt to her feet. It took her a moment to take in her surroundings. She had fallen asleep while waiting for Leyon to return. Her attention was drawn to the approaching footsteps. Is it Leyon? Seconds later, Hikari heard the sound of objects dropping to the floor. She tried to assure herself that those must have been some wooden objects strewn about the corridor. It was very dark, so whoever was walking there most likely couldn't see clearly and fell, knocking down objects in the process. It couldn't be a ghost, could it?

Hikari heard a loud groan coming from the person from within the shadows. A string of curses rolled off his mouth as he tried to get up. Hikari stiffened, her heart reeling into a frenzy at the sound of his voice. That was Leyon's voice. The said person soon emerged from the shadows in a crouching position, with one of his hands tightly grasping his abdomen at the side. Hikari gasped in horror at the sight of him.

His face was covered with blood; his pants were partly torn and dirty. Leyon looked completely unrecognisable in that state. Hikari's mind went blank. What happened to him?

Leyon's face contorted into a grimace of pain as his body began to sway back and forth in motion, his eyes struggling to stay awake at the same time.

Without a second thought, Hikari rushed to his side, reaching there just in time to catch his unconscious body from hitting the hard ground. Hikari struggled to bring him into his room. It was extremely difficult considering the fact that his whole body weight was being forced on top of her tiny shoulders as she tried her best to carry him inside, all the while ignoring the pain accumulating on her injured foot.

Hikari entered the room with Leyon's unconscious body. She staggered to his bed, almost falling down while trying to reach there in a hurry. It was only when she tossed his body down on the bed that she exhaled the breath she had been holding.

I can't believe he still placed his room key under the doormat, Hikari thought, recalling how she was able to get inside his room. Looking down at Leyon who was lying motionless on his bed, she couldn't help but worry. She didn't know why he came back looking like that, but it looked like he had gotten into a fight. Just what kind of situation did he get himself into?