Chapter 15: Stay With Me

"Sorry...," Leyon mumbled, turning away from Hikari. Hikari looked up at him, not catching what he had said. "I'm sorry," Leyon said, a little louder this time. "I shouldn't have done that. I almost got you killed."

Hikari took hold of Leyon's hand and shook her head as if to tell him that it was not his fault. She let go of his hand as soon as she realised what she was doing.

They were back at the apartment after the horrible incident. The whole apartment would have burnt down had they not arrived any sooner. Hikari had completely forgotten that she was cooking and left the stove on. With all doors and windows open to clear the smoke away, they sat on the floor beside the table on top of which a first aid kit was placed.

"Your leg got worse because of me," Leyon said guiltily. Fortunately, the wound didn't seem to be that serious. She would be able to walk properly tomorrow if she iced it now.

Leyon couldn't quite explain what he was feeling, but he didn't like the thought of Hikari being in pain. Why were women's bodies so fragile? He hadn't gotten a single scratch on his body, but it was different for Hikari. Might be because she acted as a body cushion for him when they fell; his mind told him, reminding him of what an idiot he was. But that still didn't rule out the fact that a woman's body was very delicate and weak. It made him want to protect her. Leyon abruptly stopped his thoughts. What was happening to him?

"Give me that. I'll do it." Snatching the bag of ice from Hikari's hand, Leyon proceeded to ice her injured ankle. Hikari, in her embarrassment, tried to take it back, but Leyon slapped her hands away. "Do you want to see me mad?" Leyon said, looking up and meeting her dumb gaze.

A spark went through Hikari's chest. She blushed and remained silent. Leyon didn't speak a word to her after that.

"I..," Leyon began, wrapping a bandage around Hikari's foot. "I was scared... when the truck almost hit you." Hikari listened intently; her eyes were fixed on Leyon's head which was lowered to the ground. "Do you know? Since I was young, everyone close to me was taken from me." He paused, gripping the edge of the bandage tightly. "When I saw you almost get hit by that truck, I thought, 'Ah, another person is going to die in front of me again.' But, I'm glad, and relieved that you're here with me now."

Leyon finished wrapping the bandages but didn't look up.

"If you were gone, I would be living the rest of my life blaming myself, and I don't think I'll ever recover from that. I caused everything that happened today," he went on, "and I'm sorry... I'm also glad that this time, I was able to protect someone with my own hands. Somehow, I feel like I've won against life even if it was just this once."

Leyon laughed bitterly, getting up. He was well aware of the pair of eyes that followed his movement.

"I don't know what brought me to say all these things to you. I must be going crazy. You must be weirded out by me," Leyon continued, ruffling his hair with his hand. He could see the confusion on Hikari's face. The silence was uncomfortable. "What time is it?" Leyon said to himself, trying to rid the awkwardness of the situation. He turned his head to look at the wall clock. "Seven-thirty? It's still early. Hey, stray cat? I'll go out for a while. Oh, and our conversation isn't over, so you better not run away." Leyon walked up to the door and put on his shoes. Then taking his phone and his schoolbag, he opened the door and left.

Hikari didn't know where Leyon was off to in a hurry. He didn't even change his uniform. As Hikari sat in silence, a quiet breeze swept through the sliding glass door of the balcony, and she got up to close it; all the smoke had cleared by now. Hikari held the door handle, and adding a little force to her hand, she tried to close it but stopped midway. Her eyes unconsciously drifted to the moon shining brightly above. The cool night air pleasantly glided through her hair, sweeping away her bangs. She closed her eyes and inhaled the freshness of the evening atmosphere as her thoughts began to wander.