Chapter 13: The Ring of Chains

"What do you want? Coming to the faculty room looking like that. And what happened to your face? Did you get into a fight again? How many times do I have to tell you not to bring any troubles to the school," Dustin raged, looking up at an unbothered Leyon from his desk.

"I fell off the stairs," Leyon replied in a bored tone.

"Pathetic liar," Dustin seethed, glaring at Leyon. "The first period hasn't even begun and my mood is already spoiled by just looking at your face. Why are you even here?"

"Here's the money for the fees," said Leyon, throwing a bundle of cash on top of Dustin's desk. "Hurry up and expel me now."

"What are you talking about?" Dustin looked at Leyon, his expression angry and confused at the same time. "You already paid your fees three days ago."

"What? How can that be?" Leyon exclaimed. "I wasn't in school three days ago."

"That's not important," Dustin cut him off. "Where did you get this huge amount of money? Did you steal it?" Dustin accused.

"I didn't steal it. It's mine," Leyon defended.

"That's quite suspicious." Dustin gave him a wary look but dropped it the next minute.

"Can you tell me who paid my fees?"

Dustin heaved a long sigh. "Alright, I'll tell you. I received a letter with cash last Wednesday. Someone came to the school and handed the letter to the gatekeeper. That's how I got it anyway," Dustin said. "Could it be from your orphanage? It was written in the letter that the money was to pay off your fees for this semester. As for whether the sender was a man or a woman, I forgot to ask the gatekeeper."

This teacher is so hopeless. Leyon scowled. It's obvious he just accepted the letter because there was money in it. So, of course, he wouldn't bother asking who sent it. "Can I see the letter?"

"Sure, let me find it for you." Dustin rummaged through his desk, searching for the letter that was mixed up with other documents and files scattered across the desk. "Ah, here it is. Have a look," said Dustin, handing the letter to Leyon.

Leyon quickly scanned the contents of the letter. "What is this? I never sent this." He frowned. Whoever sent the letter even wrote in the last line not to expel him and to let him continue his studies without any interruption.

What is this extremely irritating situation? Who sent this stupid letter? Someone, I know? The handwriting looked familiar as if he'd seen it somewhere before but couldn't recall from where.

Leyon crushed the letter in his hand. No matter how much he racked his brain to find out who the unidentified person was, nobody came to mind. Either this was all some stupid illusion, or the teacher was doing a prank on him.

"Since it's like this, I believe you should figure it out yourself. Considering the fact that the sender even begged not to get you expelled, I'll be generous just this one time. I won't trouble the principal with your issue. What I mean is that the school will not expel you," said Dustin.

"Don't decide everything for me. That's not what I want," Leyon raised his voice, catching the attention of the other teachers in the faculty room.

"Mind your manners." Dustin threw a large textbook at Leyon, hitting him square on his forehead. "Who are you to question the decisions I make?" Dustin shouted at him.

"You're not even the principal," Leyon shot back.

"Shut up, you imbecile. You-"

"What's going on here?" The faculty door slid open.