Chapter 10: A World Full Of Sinners

~

That nightmare felt so real I thought it was happening for real in some parallel universe where 'another me' lived.

If that was the case, then I wonder if the other me took his own life to ease the pain.

The me in that dream was thinking, "Wouldn't this all end if I died?" as he looked at his wrist, wanting to drive a blade into those veins.

Why did I wake up then? And why did I feel so relieved after knowing it was all but a dream?

Why am I so afraid to die when I want to die so badly?

Every night, I go to sleep and wish I'd never wake up. But, I always end up waking up the next morning.

Ah, this must mean I'm not dead yet, right?

Please, just hurry up and take me.

~

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

It was nearing noon. Hikari had been walking for what felt like ages since the early morning. She still hadn't had any luck in securing a single job. The situation wasn't much different from the previous day.

Tired and hungry, she plopped down on the rusty iron bench by the side of the road. Taking off her black worn-out shoes, she massaged the soles of her feet. She could see blisters beginning to form under her toes; it was going to be painful to walk now.

Positive. Think positive, Hikari. You'll find a job. Don't give up. Hikari tried to motivate herself. Putting her shoes back on, she got up and started walking, ignoring the slight pain in her steps. Not long after, she reached a crowded district in some part of the city. The place seemed like a good spot for finding jobs. Is there some kind of big business growing here?

Just then, someone lightly poked her from behind. Hikari turned around and saw a kind-looking woman who seemed to be in her early thirties.

"Hi miss, are you looking for a job?" the woman asked kindly. Hikari wanted to reply but couldn't. The woman looked unfazed and continued, "We're looking for pretty, young ladies who can serve our customers well. Are you up for the job?"

Hikari frantically took out her pen and notebook. "Is it okay if I can't speak? I need the job but I'm mute. Am I still eligible?" she hurriedly wrote.

The woman gave her an indifferent look that lasted a couple of seconds before smiling warmly at her. "Of course! There's no problem as long as you entertain them well. You just have to serve them food and drinks, that's all," the woman cheerfully said.

Hikari beamed with joy at her words. This woman must be an angel. Hikari thanked the woman again and again. Hard work did pay off, after all. There will always be light at the end of the tunnel as long as you don't give up walking. Such true, wonderful words, thought Hikari, her smile becoming wider and wider. Pretty, young ladies, she also said. So she thinks I'm pretty. Hikari inwardly squealed, proud of herself.

"Come with me. I'll show you what you need to do. Perhaps, we can start by changing your attire to something more appropriate." Saying this, the woman turned in the opposite direction and walked off with Hikari happily trailing behind like a clueless lost and found puppy.

.

.

.

"Come on. It won't be that bad. Let's go in. It'll be over before you know it," said the vile, disgusting man as he dragged her across the sidewalk, tightly gripping her hands.