Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young

Summary: "I've got a dream 'bout a boy on a star looking down upon the realm of the world. He's there all alone and dreaming of someone like me. I'm not an angel but at least I'm a girl."

Note: The fic featured in this chapter was my first-ever Doctor Who fanfic, inspired by a fanvid on YouTube featuring Ten/Rose and Nine/Rose set to "Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young" from the 1984 film Streets of Fire.

Song: "Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young" by Fire, Inc. from Streets of Fire: A Rock & Roll Fable.

Originally Published: 20 May 2013

= = =

I've got a dream 'bout an angel on the beach

And the perfect waves are starting to comeHis hair is flying out in ribbons of goldAnd his touch has got the power to stunI've got a dream 'bout an angel in the forestEnchanted by the edge of a lakeHis body's glowing in the jewels of lightAnd the earth below him's starting to shake

But I don't see any angels in the city

I don't hear any holy choirs singAnd if I can't get an angelI can still get a boyAnd a boy'll be the next best thingThe next best thing to an angelA boy'll be the next best thing

I've got a dream 'bout a boy in a castle

And he's dancing like a cat on the stairsHe's got the fire of a prince in his eyesAnd the thunder of a drum in his earsI've got a dream 'bout a boy on a starLooking down upon the realm of the worldHe's there all alone and dreaming of someone like meI'm not an angel but at least I'm a girl

Nineteen-year-old Rose Tyler glanced to her left along the stretch of beach as she heard the familiar sound of the TARDIS materializing—only, instead of the TARDIS, she could see the lean form of the Doctor as he faded in and out view. Then he materialized fully, an unspoken apology in his deep brown eyes and regret mingled with something else on his handsome face. His mouth opened like he was going to say something—but he faded away before more than a few words had fallen, just as Rose was moving towards him.

No! He couldn't leave her here, not again. Rose had just started to rant at the empty space where the Doctor had been when the scene shifted.

She was standing with the Doctor in a forest at the edge of a lake reflecting the fiery orange of the setting sun. The TARDIS was maybe 400 meters away, its blue color never changing, but Rose didn't recall stepping out of its doors and into this breathtaking landscape.

"Doctor," she asked, "where are we?"

Streaks of copper were pulled by the sun through his spiky brown hair when he turned his head to look at her, that excited grin on his face. "Not sure, exactly. Looks like Earth, probably North America, possibly the Rocky Mountains." He stuck out his tongue to taste the air. "Yep. I was right. Well, never been to Colorado before. Let's explore, shall we?" The Doctor started to walk off, but Rose grabbed his arm before he had taken more than a couple of steps. A puzzled expression crossed his face as he looked down at the hand gripping his tricep. "What?"

"It wouldn't kill you to see the sunset, would it?" said Rose, looking back to the lake. The sky was now a mixture of blue, orange, and gold, with streaks of pink thrown in for good measure, and the clouds were varying shades of purple and red. All this was reflected in the calm, glassy surface of the lake.