Chapter One

Chapter One

This is the part one of the two-shot—y’know the two-shots this story is based on. It’s been revised a bit, though.

Warning: contains self-harm so there are markers for that scene. If you self-harm or even thought of self-harming, please don’t.  Treat yourself right because no one else will unless you do first.  And Stay Strong.

~

  Liam was gazing across the field, a half-eaten sandwich long forgotten in his hands.  He was sat on a bench all alone, just like always.  Not that he minded it.  Being alone was much better than the alternative.  His past had driven him to move out of a country, for crying out loud.  Maybe, if he became invisible to everyone in school for the year, he wouldn’t have to repeat history. 

  The bell went off, signalling the end of lunch hour. Liam sighed as he tossed his sandwich into a bin six feet away from him.  A few more hours of school and then he can go home.  If he was living alone or something, he would have quit school long ago.  But no, shutting himself in his room might raise some concern among his parents.  At least they cared enough to have listened to Liam’s pleas and move away from Wolverhampton.  Only if they knew their true son, Liam thought darkly.  If Mum and and actually love me, they would have noticed the signs long ago.

  He headed back to the building, his feet heavy.

-

  Niall watched the new lad, Liam, walk across the football field.  Niall and his friends had decided to eat outside the building for once and, naturally, they had ended up choosing a spot off the side of the field.  And Niall was happy that they had because otherwise, he wouldn’t have had the chance to spot Liam.

  Liam had moved to Mullingar a couple weeks ago, which was a mystery to pretty much everyone else in town.  It’s a beautiful town, don’t get me wrong, but it was a small town.

  Liam was fit, in Niall’s honest opinion.  The new lad was easily taller than himself with an edgy crew-cut brown hair.  And his eyes.  His puppy brown eyes reminded Niall of Bambi somehow.  Except, they lacked the pure innocence and curiosity.  Those brown orbs give away absolutely nothing.  But once or twice, when passing by the English lad, Niall had thought he saw vulnerability veiled behind the emotionless mask.

  And that was why Niall wanted to get to know Liam.

  Niall had never seen Liam talking to or hanging out with any girl or boy.  And Niall wanted to be Liam’s friend. 

  With that in mind, Niall excused himself and started after Liam.  In a few moments, he managed to catch up to the new student.  Up close, Niall realises that the other lad was at least three inches taller than himself; he had always fancied chaps who are taller than him.  He purposefully put himself in Liam’s way and said, smiling his best friendly smile, “Hi, I’m Niall.  You are?”

  Liam regarded him coolly.  “Why are you talking to me?”

  Oh, he’s English, Niall noted in his mind.  “I’ve noticed that you’re new around here and I wanted to talk to you, is all.  Didn’t realise that it’s a crime to talk to you, mate.”

  “Don’t call me that,” Liam snapped.

  “Call you ‘mate’?” The English lad glared at him with even more iciness and venom in his eyes. “Sorry. Erm, so you’re not gonna tell me what your name is?”