Chapter 16

A few more figures appeared in his view.

He downed all three of them with one clip. Something clattered to the ground, and whipped around, seeing what it was. A grenade was sliding toward him. He jumped out of the way as a fireball ripped through the floor, causing floorboards to go flying through the air in flaming shrapnel.

He crouched at the foot of the steps in front of the house, where there was no fire around, and he took aim at a couple of targets, and shooting them. He looked in horror outside and saw bodies piled on top of each other. Some soldiers. Other people were the people Joe had met. He tried to look around to see if he could find any of his friends, but a bullet struck the ground beside him. A single bullet.

He turned around. Saw no one.

Could it be a sniper?

He fired another shot, a man getting hit in the head, blood spraying from the back of his head. He whipped around and fired over his shoulder, three men flying through the air, jets of blood splattering from their useless bodies.

A scream.

The girl he had met. Linda? She must have been trapped in the burning house.

Joe whipped around on the balls of his feet and sprinted toward the house, gun in his hand, his palms sticky with sweat. He fired his pistol three times in quick succession, the bullets all slamming their intended targets. Joe lunged into the house, and smashed through the burning pieces of wood. He heard the screaming from up the stairs, so he raced toward the steps and pounded up them, taking them two at a time. He reached the top of the steps a few second later and followed where the screaming was coming from. Joe heard the screaming from a door to his left, ran to it, tried to open it, but eventually kicked it open. He saw Linda standing their. A man was standing behind her, smiling a bloodthirsty smile, and pulling her neck back, placing a blade right under her throat.

“What the hell is going on?!” screamed Joe through the fire and smoke.

“She is going to die!” shouted the man maniacally. He pressed the blade to her throat, running it across, a thin line of blood tracing past her collar bone.

“We need to get out of here the place is gonna...”

“I know,” said the man coldly. “You aren't going anywhere.” Joe rushed him. He slammed his shoulder into the man and they smashed through the fragile flaming wall. Linda ran. Joe raised his fist and slammed it into the man's face, feeling and hearing the bone of his nose cracking, blood exploding from the front of his face. The man kicked his feet out and sent Joe flying back into a wall. Fire was now working its way into the room. A wall of flame blocked the doorway. Another explosion from outside. And another sporadic popping of gunfire.

Joe tackled the man and he fell to the ground like a ton of bricks. He smashed the man on the back causing him to groan. The man slowly got back up. Joe raised his pistol and fired off a shot, the bullet tearing through the man's leg. Blood sprayed from the wound and he fell back down again.

Parts of the roof were caving in, flaming pieces of debris scattering along the floor. Joe ran to the window, but his leg was grabbed and he fell to the floor. He was being dragged back. He kicked his foot out.

It didn't phase the man.

He grabbed his knife and plunged forward, attempting to stab Joe in the leg. He moved out of the way, wriggling out of the man's grasp, the blade jutting out from the floor. Joe stood back up and staggered. An explosion. Closer this time.

The man lunged forward. Joe backed against the window. He had to jump out and escape—he just had too. He smashed his hand through the window, blood trickling down his arm. The man lunged, but was kicked right under the chin, breaking his jaw instantly. The crack was loud and could be heard over the gunfire, explosions, and cackles of flame. He fell backward, blood bubbling to the surface of his mouth. And Joe jumped, leaving the man behind to be swallowed up by flame.

Joe hit the ground and every went black.