chapter 26

Ron was stumbling around, drunkenly. At the party he had attended two hours ago, he had drunk his fair share of wine.

“Have a nice drink?” asked Dave, patting him on the back.

“Yes,” slurred Ron. He had to use his hand to steady himself. “And that speech was mighty good.”

“Thank you,” said Dave. “This shall be the best this country has ever been.”

“When shall this begin?” asked Ron.

“In a couple of days—we need to prepare for it though.”

“And what if something happens before then—what if our prisoners escape and what if the plan is thwarted?”

“Do you doubt me?” asked Dave, coldly. “They will be dead by nightfall. They are of no use to us anymore.”

“I thought you said you needed them?”

“Not anymore,” said Dave, “they will most likely try to escape again anyway. They won't comply with what I have to say which is foolish if you ask me.”

“Anybody defying you is foolish,” said Ron, laughing. His face was a dull, crimson red. He let out a couch. His breath smelled of alcohol.

“Good. Now go and get some rest,” said Dave, “your drunk off your ass. You're help for me tonight.”

“OK.” Ron turned around and went into his bed room, briefly muttering goodnight to Dave. He turned to the long table that sat in the expanse of the room. In two days time the Red Ring would begin, bringing death and destruction with it. But first, Dave would have to eliminate the main problem; the prisoners that he had taken in. They would all have to die.

*******

Ken awoke to a pounding on the door. He slowly stood up and walked toward the door. It suddenly swung open and a couple of guards entered, grabbing him. He thrashed around and kicked out, trying to wriggle out of the grasp of the guards, but he was hit in the side of the head with the butt of the rifle.

“Come on and stop struggling,” said the first guard. A warm, red substance trickled down Ken's head. Blood. His head lulled forward and he was thrown into a chair in a dark room where Dave was standing and smiling.

“Bring the others too,” said Dave, “we shall have ourselves a little party.” The two guards turned around and walked down the hall, vanishing from view.

“What the hell do you want now?” demanded Ken.

“To, essentially, kill you,” Dave said. “I want to tell you some things.”

“Get me the hell out of here!” shouted Ken. He tried to lunge forward, but Dave drove his fist forward.

“Not a chance,” muttered Dave.

“What do you want?”

“You will find out once the others get here,” said Dave. “But for now, shut up.” He took out a pistol and placed the barrel to Ken's head.

Ken just sat in the chair and thought about what was happening to him right now—his hopes of escape was tarnished because now he was in a pickle...now he was captured in the grasp of this man with a pistol pressed against his head.

*****

Footsteps were rapidly approaching the door to solitary. Joe sat up hopefully.

“Someones coming,” he said.

“How do we know they are good?” asked Linda.

“Lets just hope,” muttered Tom. A key was stabbed into the lock and the door swung open, two armed guards entering. Joe was grabbed from behind.

“What the hell are you doing?” Joe demanded.

“Dave wants to talk to you about something,” muttered the second guard. He pulled Linda by the hair. She was struggling within his grasp, so he slapped her across the face, silencing her. She went nearly completely limp, but she wasn't knocked out. Joe grabbed the arm of a guard and twisted it around, trying to knock the guard out, perhaps kill him, and escape. A couple of rogue shots struck the wall. The first guard grabbed Joe and slammed his fist into Joe's head. He was knocked sideways, and before he had a chance to tumble to the ground, he was grabbed. They were roughly led out of the solitary cell, where they walked up a long, dark spiral staircase. The light was what got them; it shined bright in their eyes like pins and needle stabbing through the retinas. They walked slowly forward, taking a right down a long, narrow hallway, glancing upon a couple of armed guards that were armed with machine guns. A few minutes later, they were sitting in their chairs, Dave standing right before them, the smile on his face never ceasing.

“Well we have ourselves a little party here now don't we?” asked Dave.

“What the hell are we doing here?” demanded Joe.

“Well for starters there is something you need to know—this world has fallen apart even more than what it has. I have decided to maintain my power in the United States,” explained Dave.

“What power?” asked Joe. “What power do you plan to do that with? You don't have any sort of power. You're a coward.” Joe spat forward.

“Those are some mighty brave words talking to me,” said Dave, walking forward. “Brave words coming from a peasant.” He raised his fist and slammed it into Joe's face. Blood and bile flew from his mouth. “And the power I have is my power. I have it because no one else has it. The government has fallen, if you remember, and there is nothing to maintain balance, control, make the people safe.”

“This isn't making the people safe,” said Tom, “sure we are safe from the zombies. For now. But we aren't safe from the people. From you.”

“Yes you are. You just chose to try to defy me. People should know that if anyone defies me, there will surely be consequences.”

“You can't do this,” muttered Linda. Tears were swimming in her eyes.

“Uhm...yes I can,” said Dave.

“What gives you the right?” asked Joe.

“I give myself the right!” Dave shouted. “Enough with the stupid questions.” Dave raised his pistol. “Another reason why I called you all here tonight is that you shall die tonight. I have had enough of you...you all are no use to me anymore.”

“What use were we to you anyway?” asked Ken.

“A game,” Dave said, smirking. “It has been really fun.”

Ken hesitated before saying this...but he just couldn't contain himself. “I thought you were gonna use us for your army?”

“Where the hell did that come from?” Dave asked.

“The Red Ring—he is creating an army of people...that is why he wants to kidnap people and bring them here. He wants to conquer the world.” Everyone gasped.

“Where did you hear that?” asked Dave.

“My cell,” said Ken.

“Well that is a preposterous lie,” spat Dave, “why the hell would I wanna do that?”

“Power,” said Joe.

“I already have all the power I need...” said Dave.

“More power,” Tom said.

“And where the hell is Lewis?” demanded Joe.

“I can tell you this much—he's dead. We killed him a few days ago because he was hurt and sick...we put him out of his misery.”

“Heartless bastard!” Joe shouted. He tried getting up. The barrel of a pistol was suddenly pressed against his forehead.

“Lower your voice,” said Dave. “Would you prefer a sick person with you? No? I didn't think so.”

“You killed him without any remorse,” said Joe.

“Indeed I did,” Dave muttered, “But he was sick. He was begging. So I just popped him.” Dave was smiling all the while, not even caring what was going to happen. “The same thing is about to happen to you.” Dave pressed the pistol to Joe's head. This was really it. He was going to die.