chapter 3

Chapter 3

Joe stood up from his bed, still in pain and tired and he slung his backpack over his shoulder and walked down the stairs. His parents had not yet gotten up, so he quickly toasted himself a piece of bread and lathered it with butter, eating it, and walking out of the house. He had no time for goodbyes to his parents; he figured his parents didn't care about him anyway. He was thinking about running away—had been thinking about it since the night because he couldn't sleep—he figured his life would be better on the streets, without his parents constant beatings. He momentarily stopped walking, thinking about this. If he were to runaway he would do it once he got home; he had to complete his school first. If he was lucky, tomorrow morning he'd be on the streets, away from his parents, living by himself. He knew there still would be dangers; but at least he wouldn't have to beat beat up everyday by his parents. He started walking again, the sun rising above the horizon in a crimson red hue, painting the sky in brilliant colors of light. There was only the occasional car driving down the street as Joe walked down his street and turned to the right, stepping onto the sidewalk. He could see the large brick building of his school in the distance, towering over all the houses in the block. He advanced toward it, slowly prodding toward the school. He saw students walking around the school campus, backpacks swung over their shoulders, and he stopped right at the base of the stairs.

He wasn't prepared to go to the school because he knew people were going to see the bruises on his face and the scar on the side of his head, and he knew that people, whether they liked him or hated him, would start bullying him about something he couldn't control, and he would go home from school for fighting, for beating the people who were bullying him. He walked down the steps and could already feel the prying and judging eyes of students upon him. A couple of kids suddenly stopped him as he was entering the school.

“Where do you think your going?” one of them sneered.

“I am going into the school. Leave me alone,” Joe said.

“What happened to your face?” snarled the other. “Daddy lose control again?”

“Just shut up OK!” shouted Joe. He tried to push passed them.

“Make me,” the first bully said. He rammed his elbow into Joe's stomach. He was sent reeling, clutching his stomach, and he dropped like a rock. He was heaving. The second bully came up to him and kicked him in the side. He was rolling all the around. Suddenly he was kicked in the head. His wound from the previous night opened up, sending blood spilling along the ground. He slowly tried to get up. He felt his life meant nothing.

“Don't get up,” said the first bully. Joe was kicked in the arm. He fell to the ground, tears sheeting the side of his face. A teacher was about to step out into the courtyard. The two bullies spat on the limp body of Joe and then ran away. Joe was lying their, coughing, bleeding from the side of his head.

“Oh God,” muttered the teacher. He threw the door open and raced out to the schoolyard, kneeling beside Joe.

“Are you alright?” asked the teacher. Silence came from Joe. “Who did this too you?”

“I—I--am alright,” muttered Joe. He tried getting up, but he fell right back down. He moaned in pain as his head bled.

“Come on,” said the teacher. He grabbed Joe and flung him over his shoulder. The teacher raced back into the school, Joe over his shoulder, and rushed toward the nurses office in the school. Joe shook his head a bit, and looking up, seeing a white light rushing above him; the lights on the ceiling were piercing needles that stabbed through Joe's eyes, causing him to shut his eyes. He saw colors in front of his eyes. The teacher turned the corner and raced down the hall, through the ranks of confused students, until finally he came upon a door that contained a red cross on it. The teacher opened the door. A kind woman dressed in a white coat was sitting behind a desk, typing quietly on her computer. When the teacher entered with Joe, the kindly looking woman was quite surprised.