chapter 22

Joe was sitting in a chair in a long, dark room with Ken and Tom and Linda sitting beside him in front of a large machine.

“I have been in this room before. Wonder why I am doing in it again,” Tom said.

“Shut up!” the guard snapped. The guard had big, burly arms, with tattoos on them weaving through the large muscles. “Don't talk unless someone is talking to you.”

“Why?” asked Joe.

“Just shut up,” said the guard a little more calmly than before. Footsteps along the floor and Dave suddenly approached them, that same look of apparent disapproval still present upon his angular jaw and crooked mouth. He stopped in front of Joe, blocking his view of the machine. But a few moments later he turned around and walked toward the machine, arms outstretched, showing everyone the magnificence of this thing.

“What is it?” asked Joe.

“That is none of your concern right now,” Dave said, “you should be concerned about what I am going to do to you all before I kill you.”

“What the hell are you talking about?” snapped Ken.

“A sort of game per-say...” said Dave, “a game involving zombies.”

Tom interjected, “And what is this game all about?”

“Well you should have figured that out by now Tom...you will be locked in this room with this machine—only you Tom, know how it works. And thirty zombies will be let in here. You will have to fight and kill them. You will each be given a sword and an ax to fight these things with. I don't wanna give you guns because the zombies are riled up enough as it is. Oh, and Tom, I have snipers up their. If you tell your friends what this machine does, one of my men will not hesitate to put a bullet in your head. Do you understand that?” explained Dave.

Tom nodded. “I do.”

“Good,” said Dave walking away, “let the games begin.” A couple of guards untied the companions and walked away. Moaning sounds were drifting from the doorway as the door was pushed open. A guard gave each person two weapons and was suddenly running off. Joe took a defensive posture and ran at one of the zombies, swinging the ax to his right and the sword to his left, creating a concave surface on both sides of its head.

Blood splattered to the ground. Tom swung the sword and smashed the blade into the things skull, metal scraping against bone, the sound of squelching flesh filling the air, making a disgusting tone in the room. Ken stabbed forward, thrusting the sword into the throat of a not expecting zombie. Blood washed over his hands like water from a faucet. He retrieved the bloodstained blade and twisted around, cutting another head off.

Joe swung the ax all over the place, hacking into a couple of zombies, blood as black as night pouring to the ground, already starting to encrust. It was quite cold in there. Actually it was freezing cold.

Linda sprang from her position and charged at a zombie screaming, skewering it through the head, blood and brains splattering all over the wall. Joe kicked out his foot and sent a zombie flying into the wall, before digging the blade of the sword into its eye, twisting and turning the sharp point around, blood mixed with a white fluid trickling out of its eye, and finally it died, the sword going deep enough and reaching the brain.

Ken stabbed one in the back and then stabbed it in the head, and he swung his ax around and took a zombie in the side, blood washing over the small blade, the metal scraping against and its ribs, and while it did scream and screeching in pain, it still refuse to die. He raised his sword and smashed it into the things skull, crushing the bone, and cutting through the soft, brown, brain matter as if it was a kind of bitter.