Chapter 37

Ken saw Dave advancing on a scared looking Joe and he flung himself onto the massive man, tackling him to the ground. Joe was surprised.

“Get out!” screamed Ken. “NOW!!” Ken took a knife he had in the waistband of his jeans and slashed it forward, taking Dave in the arm. He groaned with pain as small lines of blood trickled down his arm. He swung his hand backward and took Ken in the mouth. He flew back and crumpled to the floor. Dave scrambled upward, limping, clutching his arm, and threw himself into Ken. Blood exploded from Ken's face as he was thrown into the wall. Joe just stood watching in amazement.

Ken was on the ground, but as Dave slowly stepped forward, he lashed out his foot, taking Dave in the chest—Dave fell to the ground at a loss for breath. He was in bad shape.

His skin was pale and blood was coursing down his arm.

It didn't look like he had a long time to live. Ken stomped on Dave's face and caused him to wriggle around, trying to pry Ken's foot of his face.

“We should go,” said Joe, “before he decides to kill us.”

“No...I am gonna make him suffer like he made us suffer,” muttered Ken. A man came into view and aimed a gun at Ken and fired.

“NO!” screamed Joe. Ken fell to the floor in a spray of blood. Rivulets of crimson red blood flowed freely down his arm as he lie on the ground. Joe shot at the man and killed him. He twisted around and ran toward Ken, cradling him in his arms, crying and mourning over his friend. Ken slowly got up and tried to stagger away.

“You need help,” said Joe.

“No—I need out of here...” Joe was pushed forward, landing face first in a pool of blood.

*****

Ron reached the backward of the building.

By then, the zombies had nearly taken over the entire complex. They had first started coming in from the yard; they must have heard the explosion and had come rushing in to see what was happening. Ron stabbed forward, taking a zombie through the eye, and he placed the barrel of a gun into the side of it's head, blood and brains and bone fragments shooting from its head. He saw a guard on the ground and Ron stabbed him, blood washing all over his hands. Ron ran into the CDC building which was completely destroyed. The fire they had erupted from the explosion of the truck was beginning to spread to other parts of the CDC, engulfing the whole right side. He crouched behind a bloodstained wall and saw Dave, having pushed Joe into the floor, and he was now advancing upon Ken who was slowly limping away, unaware as to what might happen.

“STOP!” bellowed Ron.

Dave whipped around. “Well what are you waiting for?” he asked, “kill him.” Dave pointed at Joe.

“No,” said Ron, “I am not a monster like you. Nor will I ever be. Just surrender and get everybody out of here before more people die.”

“I won't,” said Dave. He raised a pistol at Ron. “I thought you were one of mine—a true servant of me. Now I know you are not. You are nothing. And therefore you must die.” Dave pulled the trigger effortlessly and the bullet ripped through Ron's abdomen. Blood blossomed from his stomach and he fell to the floor.

Dave took out his knife and stabbed down. Ken screamed as the blade pierced his back. Hot blood ran down his back and he continued to scream and to bellow. Joe slowly stood up and raced toward Dave when a sudden voice said, “Stop where you are.” It was a loud, gravelly voice that Joe would recognize everywhere.

Dad,” muttered Joe.