Chapter 3

After a while of listening to the enchanting stories from the hunters, Zoe Nightside approached me.

I didn't really notice much of Zoe's features when she addressed me when I.. came at Percy. If I'm being honest? Most of the first weeks (maybe years???! I don't know.) of my life were big memory blanks. And it felt obligatory to jump at Percy like he'd done something to me.  But I wasn't going to tell anyone that. I noticed that Zoe had brown eyes and a turned-up nose her forehead trapped in a silver circlet with a proud expression. She resembled royalty so much that I felt like it was treason to not bow in her presence.

But I really should have bowed to Artemis instead.

"Elizabeth, come with me," she said. "Lady Artemis wishes to speak with you and Percy Jackson."

Zoe led me to where Percy was waiting for us by one of the last tents. It didn't look any different than the regular hunter tents. Bianca Di Angelo was sitting next to an auburn-haired girl. I blinked mistaking her as one of the hunters but realized that it was Artemis. It dawned on me that the gods could probably change form. But still, a goddess resembling a 12-14-year-old girl? It was hard to picture her as an immortal being.

The tent was warm and cozy like a big heated blanket. Beautiful silk rugs and pillows littered the floor. In the middle of the tent was a ring of smokeless fire that seemed to run without fuel. Behind Artemis was an enchanting silver bow. The walls were decorated with animal pelts.  A huge sparkling silver deer was resting its head on Artemis's lap enjoying the adoring st/=rokes she was giving the animal.

"Percy Jackson, Elizabeth join us," the goddess told us, facing Percy rather than me. Percy sat right where he was standing. I did the same as I saw her studying him with her ancient eyes. It sort of made me a little uncomfortable and even awkward watching her stare him down like her next victim.

"Are you surprise about my age?" she asked. It was a question for both of us since she glanced my way for a few moments.

"Uh..A l-little," Percy stammered.

"Uh..." was all I could muster.

"As Elizabeth knows, I could appear as a grown woman, or a blazing fire or a boar, but this is my preferred form. This is the average age of all my hunters and all the young maidens of who I Patron before they are led astray."

"Astray?" I asked.

"Grow up, become smitten with boys. Become silly, preoccupied, and insecure. Forget their true worth."

"Oh," Percy said.

Zoe ( A/N: Bare with me, Idk how to do the little accent mark the "e" in Zoe has) sat to Artemis's right and glared at Percy as if everything Artemis had said was his fault. Like he'd invented the idea of males and boys.

Artemis glanced at Zoe and the other hunters who were giving Percy stiff looks.

"Sorry if my hunters do not welcome you," Artemis said. "It is quite rare for a boy to be in the hunter camps. The last one here..." She looked at Zoe. "Which one was it?"

"That boy in Colorado," Zoe said her lips fighting a smile. "You turned him into a jackelope."

"Ah yes!" Artemis nodded with a smile. " I enjoy making Jackelopes! At any time, I've asked to see you for more on the manticore. Bianca has told some... disturbing things the monster has revealed. But she has not understood them. Recount them for me please."

Percy began telling her every detail. 

When he finished, Artemis clutched her bow in deep thought. "I feared this would happen."

Zoe sat straight up. "The scent, my lady?"

"Yes."

"What scent?" I asked confused. "M'lady."

"Things are stirring that I have not hunted in a Millennia," Artemis murmured. "Prey so old it slipped my mind."

She stared at Percy intently. "We came here tonight sensing the manticore, but he is not the one I seek. Recount for me again what this Dr. Thorn said?"

"Uh, 'I hate middle school dances'?" Percy replied unsure.

This one has a sense of humor.

"No, no. After that."

"He said someone at the General will explain it to me."

Zoe went pale, looking like she was about to faint. She turned to Artemis began to say something but Artemis held her hand up. 

"Go on, Percy."

"Well then he was talking about the Great Stir Pot-"

"Stirring," Bianca corrected.

"Yeah. And he said, 'Soon we shall have the most important monster of all-the one that shall bring the downfall of Olympus.'"

The Goddess sat there so still one could have mistaken her as a statue.

"Maybe he was lying-" Percy tried, attempting to make her feel better.

"No," Artemis said quietly. "I've been slow to find these signs. I must hunt and kill this monster." Zoe looked like she was trying to not show fear but she nodded. "We will leave right away, my lady."

"No Zoe. I must do this alone."

"But Artemis-"

" This task is too dangerous. Even for the strongest of hunters. You know where I must begin my search. You cannot go there with me."

"As.. as you wish, my lady," Zoe obliged after seeing the amount of hope she had in winning this argument.

"I shall find this creature," Artemis vowed. "I will bring it back to Olympus by the winter solstice. It will be enough proof to convince the Council how much danger we're in."

"You know what the monster is?" I asked her.

Artemis gripped her bow. "Let's pray I'm wrong."

"Can I goddess pray? Percy asked curiously. Like the thought confused and amazed.

A smile flickered across Artemis's lips.  "Before I go, Percy Jackson. I have one small request for you."

"Does it involve getting turned into a Jackelope?"

Artemis sighed. "Sadly no. I want you to escort my Hunters to Camp Half-Blood. They will remain safe and protected there until I return."

"What?" Zoe blurted out.  "But, Artemis, we hate that place. The last time we played there-"

"Yes I know," Artemis said. "But I'm sure Dioynsus will not hold such a grudge for your, ah, little misunderstanding. I heard they rebuilt all those cabins you burnt down!"

Zoe crossed her arms and muttered something about foolish campers.

" And now there is one last decision to make," Artemis turned to Bianca. "Have you made your decision?"

"What decision?" Percy asked.

Bianca hesitated.

"Th-they've invited me to join the hunt."

Chapter three! :)*SPOILERS FOR  TC*