Chapter five

Even though Artemis assured us that dawn would be approaching, the night looked as same as ever. A cold and dark ocean with little glowing dots of light. 

Zoe had gifted me with a silver winters coat decorated with the moon. I felt a little overwhelmed accepting her gift. It was too beautiful and I felt unworthy of it, especially when I glanced over to see Percy shivering in the snow.

"No matter thy choice, think of this as a gift from Artemis," Zoe told me, a hand on my shoulder. I gave her a weak smile. Zoe returned the smile but her eyes gave me a serious look.

"Lady Artemis expects great things from you," She advised me before going to help the other hunters break camp.

Artemis expected great things from me? She had barely even spoken to me the whole meeting. It was more of her questioning Percy, answering my blurts and recruiting Bianca.

Speaking of Bianca, I could see her talking to Nico from the other hunters. Judging by his glum face and drooping back, she seemed to be explaining her decision to join the hunt. I could help but feel sorry for Nico. His sister had left him to join a girl gang and she was the only family (Other than their godly parent) he had left.

I didn't have any family, (that I knew of) and my godly parent had abandoned me long ago if it's taken them this long to reach out.

Thalia had returned from wherever she had disappeared to and huddled up with Percy and Grover. I pretended not to listen to them as I helped gather some of the pegs for the hunters.

"The last time the Hunters visited camp, it didn't go too well," Grover said nervously.

"How'd they even show up here?"Percy asked. "I mean, they just show up here out of nowhere."

"And Bianca joined them," Thalia said with disgust dripping in her voice. "It's all Zoe's fault. That stuck up, no good-"

"Who can blame her?" Grover said dreamily. "Eternity with Artemis? Would die for." He heaved a long sigh. I couldn't help but be disgusted with Grover. Artemis was beautiful, yes but she doesn't adore men.

Thalia scoffed. "You satyrs. You're all the same. Foolishly in love with Artemis. You do understand she'll never love you back?"

"But she's... so into nature," Grover swooned admirable of the goddess. 

"You're nuts," said Thalia.

"Nuts and berries," Grover  said dreamily. "Yeah."

I walked away to give the pegs to the hunters before Thalia, Percy and Grover realized I was eavesdropping.

Finally the sky started to get lighter.  I walked over to Artemis who was looking up at the sky, her bow around her, like she was expecting something. 

"Finally!" She said a little stressfully. "He's s-o-o lazy during winter."

"Waiting for the sunrise?" I asked her.

"Waiting for my brother is a little more accurate but yes."

I stared at the sky for a while. But it suddenly dawned on me that the sun was a star that was about 93 million (billion? I don't know.)  away from the earth. I didn't see how Apollo could ride the sun. 

"It's not what your thinking," Artemis said with a laugh.

"Oh okay," I said a little embarrassed. "So it's not like he's pulling up in a-"