Chapter 52 {R}

"We need to go," I muttered, the threat spoken by my brother still souring the air.

My mother, shaken awake by all the noise, tugged at Jack's shoulders, shaking his unmoving figure. She got no response out of him, except for soft, steady breaths. He looked much more peaceful unconscious, without the battle in his mind, constantly fighting to get control of his own head.

"Go where, exactly? What just happened? What's wrong with him?" Lexa's pale blue eyes flashed between me and Jack, measuring the situation she failed so terribly to understand.

"You called him Warner." Daniel's voice was low behind me, curving right over my shoulder. "That's the Alpha, isn't he?"

I nodded faintly, staring at my brother's pale features. "He has brainwashed him. Keeps him under his control."

Corbyn's face had a question mark all over. "He's not even here."

"I can't explain how it works, I didn't know it was possible at all." My words were soft but sharp all the same, yet not angry with him. With myself, more than anyone. I should have seen it.

Jonah raised to his feet so fast we all jumped a little. "We'll explain the rest on the way, we really need to go."

"Go where?" Lexa repeated herself, more demanding this time.

Even Jonah stopped at that, searching my eyes for an answer.

"Zach's family is staying out of town, in Ferndale. That's where they're going."

Jonah gave a single nod, holding my gaze. He's with me on this. Every step, every breath, every second. "Then that's where we're going, too."

I flinched when my mom jumped up and into my face, her hands clasped around my shoulders, nailing me to the floor. "You're not going anywhere," she hissed, panic bleeding in her eyes. "It's too dangerous, Riley. Call the police, have them arrested; it's their work, not yours, not any of you." She blinked against the fear stirring in her eyes. She didn't say it, but I knew she was thinking about the last time she nearly lost me.

I forced down a spike of doubt, put on a brave face, a mask so fragile and see-through that it was a pathetic attempt, but it was something. "We can't call the police," I told her softly, squeezing her hands. "Not if Zach's the assaulter. They'll arrest him."

I swallowed, taking another valuable second to pull her close to me. "I can't let him kill his own family, Mom," I whispered into her shoulder, sinking into her embrace.

I felt her chest tighten, fighting feelings. "Be careful," she forced out. "You're his family, too, Ri."

"We can take my car but we need another," Jonah said, and I silently praised him for his leadership as he guided us into a plan. "In case we need to get his family out of there."

My mother pulled back slowly, visibly fighting herself. She nodded, her hands cool against my cheeks. "Take my car," she smiled, but it only heightened her worry, instead of the reassurance she attempted to show.

I stepped back, untangling myself from her before I'd decide to stay in her arms forever, far from the claws of danger.

Four sets of eyes skimmed across my face, and I took a brief moment to look back at my best friends, all ready to follow me into another threat, no matter how hard I had tried to keep them out of it.

My eyes lingered on a particular set of bright blue eyes, sensing his tension, no matter how small the signs.

"Someone needs to stay with Jack," I muttered, keeping his choices open, but holding his gaze.