Chapter 1 {R}

RILEY

The wooden floor of the attic creaked as Zach stepped forward, and it did so with every replacement of his feet that followed. I carefully watched him through my raised fists, hoping to predict his next attack.

When he launched his fist towards my face, I ducked just in time to see his hand flying over my head. His broken defence allowed me to hit his stomach and he grunted.

For my second punch, he stepped back, distancing himself from my range, only to shoot forward right after.

As his knuckles met my jaw, my head snapped to the side. My whole body followed. The second my ribs were uncovered he took advantage of it.

I stumbled back, gasping for air. I tasted the dusty, salty smell that hung around on my tongue. He waited for me to restore my fighting stance.

Lifting his chin, he waved me forward. The smug, challenging grin on his face made me clench my fists, the black fabric of the boxing wraps tightening around my knuckles.

He avoided the punches I threw at him next, my fist connecting with the air above his shoulder instead of his cheekbone. I grumbled in frustration.

My eyes landed on his abdomen, my leg raised up to meet the spot. He stepped aside, ending up behind me. I clenched my jaw as his fist met my spine.

Spinning around to him, I looked at his collarbone. My knuckles were met with the air once more. He grabbed my wrist, twisted it onto my back and spun me around.

With my back pressed against him, my right arm stuck between our bodies and his hand clasped around my throat, I could do nothing more than admit that I had lost.

Our chests rose and fell in sync as we tried to catch our breath, our hearts racing at the same pace.

"I win, Princess," he stated before leaning over my shoulder to kiss my cheek.

"Yeah, I can see that," I huffed, stepping out of his headlock as he let go of me.

"How did you know what I was gonna do, every single time?" I read the amusement off his face when I turned to him.

He wiped his hand over his forehead, the boxing wrap collecting the sweat drops from his skin. "By looking at your eyes," he said simply. "You look at the spots you're going to aim for, which makes sense because you're new to this. But try to look at my face instead, not the spots you're going to hit me."

"Okay, I'll try," I said, zipping my jacket open and taking it off.

His eyes ran up and down the black sports crop top that left my arms and stomach uncovered.

"Don't forget to breathe, Herron," I chuckled as I heard the air falter in his throat. "It's just hot up here."

He scratched the back of his neck, biting down on his bottom lip. "Yeah, well, you just made it ten times worse," he said, making my cheeks heat up fiercely.

"Anyway, are you ready for the next round?"

The corners of my mouth twitched up into a sly smile. "Yeah, and this time I won't let you win."