3

A Bridge to the Afterlife

=-=-=-=-=

"Morax, for how long do you plan on following me?"  you asked the dog-like man following you as you roamed without a destination in mind.

"I am not following you. I am, well, escorting you," Morax replied in defense, which made you let out a sigh as you continue your journey. As you went on, a scenery caught your attention. You stopped and took a moment, making Morax enjoy the view too.

"Is the view to your liking, Alma?" he asked as he stood beside you.

"It is. It's a nice break spot I could use every once in a while," you said as you walked towards the edge of the cliff.

"Is it possible to share this 'break spot' of yours, dear Goddess?" he asked as he stared at your back, admiring it with the sunset.

"Of course! Who else would willingly escort me other than you? I'd rather watch this scene with you over and over again than be with the other Gods."

><><

"Do you like it here that much, Goddess?" Morax asked.

"Of course! The scenery is wonderful! We could name it after us if you like."

" I don't mind at all. How about...Guili Plains?" he suggested, gaining a hug in reply.

"I love you, Morax!"

"...Me too, Goddess."

><><><><

"Welcome to Liyue, Traveler Diana. You can stay with us for a while as you wait for the Rite of Descension in 5 days," Liyue Katheryn offered but you kindly declined. Instead, you explored the new nation you have entered in hopes to find clues on how the War ended. It truly is larger compared to Mondstadt, and more lively.

"Please bother someone else, if you don't mind," a man said to a young girl, probably in her teens. 

"Why's a young girl out here doing business?" you thought as you came closer. By the tone of her voice and her approach, she does not seem to be a minor.

"I don't think the Wangsheng Funeral Parlor is cut out for these types of approach, director," the man with her stated as she walked away. Because of the words "funeral parlor" got your attention, you decided to approach her.

Before you could even get closer and start a conversation, she suddenly turned to face you.

"Finally! Is this a potential client I see?" the girl, who introduced as Hu Tao, enthusiastically said as she shook your hand. "What do you need from us? We have a sale going on for travelers such as yourself."

"I am curious about the Wangsheng Funeral Parlor. You see, I'm trying to find a job and being part of a Funeral Parlor is new to me," you lied. Of course you knew what a funeral parlor is. And they have close ties with working with the dead. It must be your lucky day to encounter none other than the director herself.

"Well to sum it all up, we handle the dead and perform funeral rites for the adepti. That's basically it. So, are you in?" she said. "If you are, meet me at the funeral parlor at noon. We'll have a burial at that time so I hope you can immediately gain experience and not be a burden."

You liked how blunt she is, no matter how insensitive she sounds. It's obviously for the better that she knows how to handle these situations than to sugar-coat important things.

"Noon? Why not now? I am free for the day and have nowhere to go since I'm a traveler. Mind taking me in for a few hours, director?" you asked with a huge grin on your face, causing Hu Tao to laugh.

"I like you a lot! Come now, I'll introduce you to my consultant before he leaves," she said as she grabbed your and her assistant's arm and ran. "He disappears as soon as he steps out of the parlor and I don't want you missing him. He's been a life saver ever since he appeared. Seems a lil' suspicious but I'm welcome for any help I can get."

As you reached the funeral parlor, before Hu Tao could open the door, it immediately opened revealing a man with the color pallete of a cockr– a sunset.

"Ah, director. Are you done with your business plans?" he said as the young director pushed him back in the parlor with you and the assistant following from behind.

"Take a seat, Zhongli. I'd like to introduce you to our new employee...I haven't heard your name," she said as she sat down. She pulled out what seems to be an employee file and handed it to you.

"My name is Diana. I hope you don't mind me spending a few hours here, Mr. Zhongli."

"Cancel whatever you were doing ang keep her entertained, Zhongli. I'm sure whatever you're going to isn't as urgent as a newly hired employee? Teach her the ropes on how we do things."

Zhongli looked at you and stared for a while before clearing his throat, "I-I'll be back immediately, director. A contract is much more important than an employee who just popped out of nowhere."

"Lady Ningguang seems to be lucky for finding a guy like you, Mr. Zhongli," Hu Tao snickered which made you confused.

"Oh, Lady Ningguang is the lover of our Zhongli. Not only does he uses the money of the Wangsheng Funeral Parlor, he doesn't even need to spend at all since Lady Ningguang covers his expenses–"

"–Director. I really must go. I'll be back before noon just in time to entertain Ms. Diana."

=-=-=-=-=

AAAAAAAA A HUNDRED READSSSS 🥰🥰🥰