4

Eyes

=-=-=-=-=

"Diana?" the consultant called, making you reply a 'here.'

"I apologize for my rude behavior before. It's just that I prioritize my contracts a lot, and they just so happened to be an important client. I hope you wouldn't take it to heart," he apologized, making you crack a laugh. He looked at you, confused at your reaction, as you calmed down to explain.

"I had a very close friend before who was just like you. The only difference is that he never forms a contract when he knows it would interrupt our time together. He was clingy, but not the annoying type," you reminisced as Zhongli watched you with a blank expression. You can never tell what was on his mind. Whenever you see him, he screams "old fashion."

He held out his hand as you took it, leading you out of the establishment. The next thing you know, he was touring you around Liyue Harbor.

"Your eyes also remind me of someone very dear to me, Diana," he shared, making you nervous. The eyes of a God never change, no matter what form they take.

"Is he perhaps one of the Gods I've met before? Or have I been reborn once in the past?" you thought. He didn't look at you throughout the tour, so you couldn't bring yourself to ask him to turn and look at his eyes.

"It's almost noon. Let's go back, shall we?" Zhongli said as he started walking back with you following beside him. The longer you stared at him, the more familiar he feels. It's as if you've been walking together with him for as long as you can remember.

"I thought you would never come back! Come, come!" Hu Tao greeted you as he pulled you. "Ahem, Mr. Consultant, shouldn't you be hurrying the pace instead of dilly-dallying?"

The old-fashioned man snapped out of these thoughts and went inside, proceeding to prepare the necessities for the burial.

><><><><

"So? How was your first day?" the director asked as soon as the burial ended.

"I understood the basics. The only thing I'm missing now is experience," you said with a smile. Hu Tao was glad she found a natural like you. She's sparred from the dreadful waiting for new hires. "When you see Zhongli, tell him I need him for something when you go out," she said as she saw you going out of the parlor.

The first place you went to was the place Zhongli wanted to bring you to, but he couldn't because of the time limit. It was known as the Guili Plains near the Wangshu Inn, where you first stayed. You were confused as to why you didn't notice it before if it was a lovely place as he described.

As you were nearing the said location, you felt another familiar energy, just like when you met Barbatos. You walked closer as you saw a familiar man, enjoying the scenery. He looked almost nostalgic to the point that instead of the scenery, you enjoyed looking at him until you didn't realize he was also looking at you.

"D-Diana! You could've called for me," he said a he shyly looked away.

"Why couldn't I recognize him when his Elemental Energy is so familiar? Why didn't I even feel his energy the first time we met?" you thought as you eyed him.

"Excuse me, miss?" he said as he snapped you out of your thoughts. You looked up and as soon as you reached where he was standing, you felt a sudden gush of nostalgia. It was an all-too-familiar scenery that made you almost shed a tear.

"O-Oh, Mr. Zhongli. Hu Tao needs you for something. Well goodbye!" you said, hurrying away when he grabbed your arm and whispering something inaudible. You asked him to repeat, to which he replied by letting go of your arm and leaving first.

"Thank you for telling me, Diana. I'll be leaving first. I hope you don't mind," he said as he started walking away, not waiting for you to reply.

"That's strange," you thought to yourself. You were feeling so calm and warm by just seeing the scenery. Maybe it was your break spot before, but the landforms confused you so you weren't able to recognize it immediately. From that moment, you thought about Morax, the God of Contracts. You oddly see Morax in Zhongli. It would all make sense, from the clothing to the contract obsession, and the odd way of speaking.

But then you realized it would be unlike Morax to stay in one place since he could've ventured into the world and controlled contracts.

><><><><

"Aether! Paimon! What brings you to Liyue?" you greeted the duo near the entrance of the Liyue Harbor.

"Oh! Hi, Diana! We're here for the Rite of Descension. They said that every year, the Geo Archon Rex Lapis graces this land with his prophecy, giving guidance on the economic path Liyue should follow in the coming year," Paimon explained as you walked around while interviewing the locals.

"Who's Rex Lapis? I haven't heard of a God by that name," you asked, as you kept walking calmly until she replied.

"They say it's rude to call him his God name, but it's Morax."

You ran immediately to where the people said the event would be held, causing Aether and Paimon to run after you. You were by the entrance when you saw Morax's dragon form, which lit a fire inside of you. From what you heard, Ningguang was the host of the rite so you anticipated for her to start. But instead of being happy, your head made you feel anxious, as if something was wrong.

"Rex Lapis has been assassinated!"

=-=-=-=-=