Chapter 5: First day of summer

It's such a bright, sunny day but I have no plans of getting out of my bed anytime soon. It's too hot to move, please.

"Hayun, dear. Get up now and join me for breakfast." My mother sweetly said. I couldn't even refuse her, especially when she's being like this.

"I'm too lazy to get up, Mom. You can go first, or else you're going to be late." I felt kind of guilty, but I can't bring myself to get out of my bed. 

"But dear, you know I can't eat alone. Will you join me, please?" She kissed my forehead, which made me smile.

Even if it's just the two of us, I actually became contented because she never failed to show how much she loves me.

"Alright. You won, I'm going now." I surrendered and she clapped in glee. Truth to be told, I kind of understand why she never wanted to eat alone.

Because in that same table, is where my Dad proclaimed he didn't love her anymore. She won't admit it, but those words are still haunting her until now.

I brushed it all off. I don't want to waste this day with this kind of thought.

"Well, it's already summertime, my dear. Do you plan to go anywhere with your friends?" My mother asked while we're eating.

"No. After this, I'll probably go back to bed." I answered nonchalantly.

I didn't have many friends, and they're probably doing their own thing. I could only invite Jungwon, but I bet he's going somewhere with his family.

"What?" She exclaimed dramatically. "Why in the world are you going to waste this perfect day, moping on your bed? Get out later and have some fun. Life's too short."

"Mom, why are you getting so worked up about this. I'm fine. I'm not the kind of person who likes going out, you know."

As much as I love her, I couldn't keep up with her energy sometimes. For a person who's working three jobs, she sure still have a lot of it. I'm impressed.

My mother pouted. "I'm worried about you, actually. I just want you to enjoy and have fun, even with our situation."

I held her hand, and gave her a reassuring smile. "Fine, I'll go out later after I've done some chores. Is that good enough with you?"

Her face brightened up with my statement. She's really looking out for me, and I'm grateful.

"You have to go now, Mom. You're going to be late for real."

"Oh shoot! I'll get going then. See you later?" She kissed me goodbye, and I chuckled when she almost tripped in a hurry.

She's acting like the younger one sometimes.

I'm already done with the chores and decided to read some books to pass time. It's the first day of summer and I'm already bored out of my mind.

I looked at our home clock and noticed it's already 3 o'clock in the afternoon. Suddenly, it occured to me that there's somewhere I wanted to go right now.

The park.

Although it would save me some time if I rode the bus, I decided to just walk there. I'm not in a rush anyway.

I finally arrived and sat on the same bench where I met the mysterious guy. I facepalmed when I realized that I forgot my phone at home.

Thirty minutes has passed, and there's still no signs of the guy I came here for. I felt so stupid. How could I expect to see him at a random time like this?

After about an hour, I decided to call it a day and go home. I was about to stand up when I heard someone asked;

"Looking for me?"

My eyes widened in surprise, and I put my hand on my chest since my heart is beating fast.

Standing there, is the mysterious guy with the most beautiful smile.