Chapter 8: Promises

"It's already getting dark, Hayun. As much as I want you to stay with me longer, I think you should go home now." Sunoo said dejectedly.

We sat down and talked about random things for hours, mostly about school and my friends, then our likes and dislikes.

I haven't told him about my family yet because it might overwhelm him. He's not opening up about his either, so I didn't ask.

I stared at the orange sky, admiring its beauty. Time flies really fast when you're having fun. The awkward atmosphere I felt earlier suddenly disappeared, since we chatted as if we've known each other for a very long time.

I felt an instant connection with him. I could only hope that we'll have the opportunity to know each other better.

"You're right, my Mom might get worried." I stood up and fixed myself. "I'll get going now. Take care on your way home, Sunoo."

"You too, Hayun. Stay safe." Sunoo smiled brightly, which never failed to make me feel warm inside.

He shines like a sun, even at the darkest hour.

I was about to walk away when I suddenly remembered something. "By the way, can I have your phone number? In that way, we could contact each other more often."

Sunoo shyly rubbed the back of his head. "I'm sorry to break it to you, but I don't have a phone."

"Are you serious?" I asked, astonished. "What kind of era are you living in, Kim Sunoo."

"Hey, it's not my fault that I don't have the ability to buy one." He pouted. "Besides, who needs a phone anyway? People from older generations managed to live without it, you know?"

"Whatever." I rolled my eyes to suppress my smile. I may never admit it, but he's very cute while rambling. "Then how are we supposed to see each other again? There's literally no way to contact you and ask for a meet up."

"Well, I believe that our paths will cross again. Trust me." Sunoo tried to reassure me, so I pouted and looked away.

I badly want to see him again, but I don't want to let him know that I'm too eager. I'm afraid that he might reject the idea of it.

Sunoo gently lifted my chin, leaving me with no choice but to face him. My heart started beating fast when I noticed that he's staring right into my eyes.

I can't handle the intensity of his stare, please.

"Let's meet again tomorrow. Same time, same place." Sunoo said with finality. "I'd be happy to spend time with you all summer, if you'd like."

"You promise?" I asked and held out my pinky finger. I'm probably blushing right now, but I couldn't care less.

I'm happy.

Sunoo removed his hold from my chin and intertwined our little fingers together. "I promise, and I always keep my promises. Don't worry."

The once orange sky turned dark, as the moon and stars started appearing while we did the 'promise' sign.

For the very first time in years, Sunoo made me want to believe in promises again.