Chapter 4: Poking the Bear

Thankfully, half a dozen matches passed before the dance team was due to come back to perform.

So by the time "Chad Brad Bradley" stepped back on the mat, there was no indication on his face he'd ever been crying, but he made sure to amp his attitude up to eleven in order to compensate for the emotional mess he was inside.

Daryl peered at him with interest as he took note of his haughty expression. "Now that everyone's favorite principal danseur has returned, I'm sure we're all curious to know who he's going to pick to win the tournament?"

[Several people in the stands let out a "whoop!"]

"Anyone who's ever been to a "CBB" performance knows that it's Bayview High tradition for the team captain to pick one of the competitors to win. I think everyone's curious. Who is your pick to be the next All Valley Champion?"

"CBB, CBB, CBB!!!" the girls in the crowd chanted.

Chad pointedly ignored his father's team as he scanned the crowd and let his eyes fall on the cute long-haired guy from Topanga karate.

His fans continued to chant his moniker as they awaited his pick.

The so-called "tradition" had started as a joke.

It was similar to getting handed a rose at Medieval Times by a passing knight. However, it really boiled down to image, bragging rights, and an excuse for one of the fighters to get five seconds of fame.

Once he set his sights on the former All Valley champion, Robby sent him a grin like the seductive little tease he played for the masses so well and practically purred. "What can I say? I've always liked a winner."

Xander Stone looked almost bewildered at being the dancer's choice, and his cheeks tinged pink, even as several of his teammates clapped him on the back in a congratulatory way.

Robby emphasized his flirtatious words by running his hands through his hair and did a little gyration of his hips causing his shirt to ride up. Between all of "that" and the tempting display of skin he'd let the audience catch a glimpse of — it was a surprise the boy he'd flirted with hadn't swallowed his tongue.

The backup dancers giggled.

Their captain was pretty much a notorious flirt.

• • •

Throughout the entire intermission, Johnny was clenching his fists and scowling protectively as he watched his son openly flirt with last year's winner.

He did NOT like watching his little boy swaying his hips for anyone's enjoyment, especially not the same long-haired pansy who just did a five-minute-long speech on praying to end intolerance for every race, religion, and gender.

As much as he despised being his son's object of scorn and having him make a mockery of his dojo, Johnny was learning the hard way that he hated the sight of his little boy flirting even more.

~ ~ ~

Johnny grimaced at the sight of his son's hoodie riding up to display the beginning of his six-pack. 'I swear if that doesn't stop happening, I'm going to throw him over my shoulder and drag him to the store to buy him a new one.'

Despite the visible muscle development in his son's arms, shoulders, and torso, the teenager had a small waist. So it couldn't have been that hard to find clothes that fit him.