Chapter 6: Chosen Champion

Shortly after the dance concluded, it was announced, the former champion and Hawk would face off in the next round.

Johnny turned to his student. "Kick that pansy bitch in the face."

"Yes, sensei," came the immediate answer.

Hawk was so lost in his own waves of resentment over having to endure his dojo being mocked that he didn't even bother to ask why his teacher had made such a request.He could reluctantly admit his sensei was right when he'd prevented "El serpiente" from getting into a dispute with the lead dancer.

It would have only ended badly for them and gotten them into a lot of trouble with the tournament committee.

Needless to say, Hawk wasn't about to go looking a gift horse in the mouth when the upcoming match gave him an acceptable target to vent his frustrations.

Chad Brad Bradley — seriously, what kind of name was that? Had picked his boy-toy to win the tournament. So beating his chosen champion and getting that much closer to the trophy would show people how badass they really were.
• • •

[Next Round:]

The referee stood between Hawk and Xander.

"Gentlemen, you know the rules," he said, looking at the two boys who were about to face off. "Three points win."

"Face each other," he ordered. "Bow."

Both students bowed to one another.

Ready?

Fight!

The battle didn't last long.

Xander wanted to impress his boyfriend, who he could hear cheering him on from the sidelines like his own personal cheerleader, and it only fueled the fire inside him to win the match. He wanted to prove the dancer made the right choice in picking him.

Hawk was a strong fighter, but he couldn't compete with his opponent's faster movements or manage to land more than a single hit with the guy flipping around like a maniac.

Topanga's champion took a single kick to the chest that cost him a point before scoring the next two in rapid succession using several intricate flip maneuvers that threw his opponent off balance and left him struggling to defend against the boy's unique karate style.

Seeing an opportunity, Hawn moved in to score his second point, unintentionally leaving himself open in the process, and ended up getting knocked backward onto the mat with a well-placed kick to the midsection.

"Point," the referee announced, throwing his hands up. "Topanga Karate is going to the finals!"

(The crowd cheers and applauded]

"Bullshit!" Hawk yelled at the referee and then ultimately lost his temper when everyone immediately flocks over to congratulate the other student on his win and ignored his attempts to act like a sore loser.

He stormed off in a huff.

~ ~ ~

Johnny barely even noticed his student's childish tantrum because he was so focused on watching his son's reaction to the win. It didn't skip his notice that his boy had been cheering the long-haired fighter on throughout the match, and the winner had rushed off the mat to receive his congratulations.

Since the opposite side of the gymnasium had transformed into utter chaos with everyone jumping around wildly, the father missed the way Xander lifted his son slightly by the waist, spun him around, and pecked him on the lips.