Chapter 3: No More Excuses

Sensing he was upset, Sienna touched her friend's arm tenderly and guided him out into the little hallway that was empty at the moment since everyone was inside.

Robby sat down heavily on the bench that ran along the wall, put his head in his hands, and immediately felt his girls crowd around him like the world's most loving puppy pile.

In a matter of seconds, their captain was being consoled with a barrage of hugs, touches, and even a few forehead kisses because the dancers were so familiar and comfortable with one another that it didn't make it awkward.

Their display of support continued in much the same fashion for several minutes until they heard someone clear their throat and looked up to find their captain's father standing at the entrance to the back hallway.

His second-in-command was on her feet in an instant and marched over to confront her best friend's deadbeat dad. "You got a lot of nerve showing your face here, you useless piece of---"

"Sienna, stop!" Robby's voice made her pause. "It's ok."

The blonde looked over her shoulder with a pained look and then back at the older man with a vicious scowl on her pretty face. "No, Robby, it's actually the opposite of ok. You deserve better than to be treated like a piece of crap by a man who has the nerve to call himself your father!"

His dancers nodded in agreement.

They could be worse than a pack of protective lionesses when it came to protecting their boy.

Each of the dancers loved their team captain; they'd pretty much do anything for him, and if it meant calling out this fifty-year-old man for his atrocious behavior, that was the hill they were all ready to die on.

Johnny seemed to shift nervously on his feet as he felt their hostile looks. "Can I just talk to my son? There's some stuff I need to say, and I need him to hear it."

Sienna's jaw tightened. "Fine. But you better not hurt him, or else you're going to get a sharp kick where the sun doesn't shine, old man."

Johnny's eyes widened at the threat.

Taking their cue from the popular girl, the other dancers followed her down the hall and into the locker room that had been set aside exclusively for them.

Kaycee paused for a moment, looking down at him worriedly, and then gave her captain one last reassuring hug so tight he ended up with his face pressed up against her denim vest. "We'll just be down the hall, hun. If you need Sienna to come back and kick his ass, just call. You know she'd do it in a heartbeat."

Robby chuckled tonelessly. "I'll keep that in mind."
---------------------------------

Johnny watched the door to the locker room close and then hesitated before speaking. He'd planned what words to say once they were alone, but seeing his son's downturned face and misery, he couldn't seem to remember them.

"So, is there something you actually wanted to talk about, or are you just trying your luck with your telepathy now?" his son asked curtly.

"I just wanted to let you know that this doesn't have to be you vs him. It's not a competition. I'm not going to love you any less just because I'm trying to help my student or giving him support when he needs it."

Robby's leg was bouncing up and down restlessly as a contemplative look came over his face. "I suppose you're right."