The Cupid's Message

"Have you told anyone else about it?" Hermione asked her.

Heroneka shook her head.

She was sitting next to Hermione's bed in the hospital wing. Ron and Harry had just left for the Gryffindor Tower after meeting Hermione, but Heroneka had stayed behind. She wanted to talk to Hermione, tell her about what had happened between her and Draco when she had visited the Slytherin Common Room.

"I can't believe this." Hermione was holding the Malfoy ring in her hand, fumbling with it and observing it closely. "Malfoy really likes you!" She kept her voice low.

Hermione remained in the hospital wing for several weeks. So many students filed past the hospital wing trying to catch a glimpse of her and check if she had been attacked that Madam Pomfrey took out her curtains again and placed them around Hermione's bed, to spare her the shame of being seen with a furry face. Ron, Harry and Heroneka visited her every evening, but it was only today that Heroneka got a chance to talk to Hermione alone.

"I feel like a bitch!" Heroneka said through her gritted teeth.

"Hey!" Hermione looked up at her. "Why would you say that?"

"Mione, don't you see it? All this, it's so complicated." Heroneka bit her lip. "I mean, Draco is different when he is with me. But he never hides how terrible he can be when he is bullying others. He knows that I know him entirely. He hasn't lied to me. Not yet, at least, I know that."

Hermione pouted and looked back at the Malfoy ring.

"I have lied... To Draco, to Ron," she shook her head. "And Harry? He has no idea."

"Snitchy!" Said Hermione. "If you tell Ron and Harry what exactly is going on between you and Malfoy, do you think they will understand?"

"Maybe?" She mumbled hopefully.

"No!" Hermione said at once. "They're boys! They have ego issues. Malfoy wants to be with you and he understands that you belong to your friends. That is why he respects your choices. It must be really hard for him to see you with the boys he hates the most. He lets you do what you want and is happy with whatever you offer him. But Harry and Ron? They're your best friends. They have fought for you and want you safe. They know that they have enough right to ask you to stay away from Malfoy. They hate Malfoy and know his family background. They will never get along."

Heroneka kept staring at the MALFOY ring which was in Hermione's hands.

"Are you alright?" She asked Heroneka.

"I don't know." Heroneka looked up at her. "I don't want to lie to Harry and Ron. They're my best friends just like you."

"But I'm a girl!" Hermione explained. "I can understand your perspective. They can't. The fight that goes on between them... It is more than enough to make Ron and Harry hate Draco even more."

"I know," Heroneka mumbled, not knowing what else to say.

"You can do one thing though." Said Hermione. "You said that your father was very close to Malfoy's mom."

"Yes." Heroneka nodded.

"Well, all Ron wants is that you maintain a distance from Malfoy. He thinks that Malfoy wants to hurt you in some way. If you can assure Ron and Harry that he is not going to hurt you and that his mom really cares for you, maybe they will stop asking you to stop hanging out with Malfoy."

"But how can I do that?" Heroneka felt a bit hopeful now. Hermione was not taking this as bad as Heroneka had expected her to.

"Can you ask Malfoy to ask his mom to send you an owl?" Said Hermione. "Ask her to send something meaningful. Maybe something about your father that she might have."