A Broken Heart

Heroneka had always addressed her godfather by his name, William. He had already started calling her his daughter because of which, now that Heroneka was writing an owl to him, she decided that it was time for her to change things for the better. So, she started addressing him as 'Dad'.

Dear Dad, 

I'm doing fine. Things are not going right. For the last few weeks, my scar has been aching. It feels like a dagger is cutting through the skin above my heart. It began after Hermione was petrified. I got a panic attack that escalated my weakness and pain. I won't go to the hospital wing since it is full of petrified bodies now. I can't even visit Hermione as they don't allow visitors anymore. Madam Pomfrey said, they're not taking any chances.

I am trying to strengthen my command on my shields. I don't understand why, but my eyes have changed from purple to red. I don't have control over them anymore and they keep switching between purple and red. I read mom's book, the fourth chapter, and have been working on gaining control of the elements.

Last week, I accidentally set Ron's Charms homework on fire in the common room by snapping my fingers and I had to rewrite it for him. I still have to try working on earth, water and air.

Lastly, I hope you are alright. Take care of yourself. Since you are an Angelic Wizard, please let me know if can relate to my unusual body changes, sudden pains and panic attacks. It would be very nice if I can find some medicine or remedy for it.

Love,
Heroneka.

Summer was creeping over the grounds around the castle; sky and lake alike turned periwinkle blue and flowers large as cabbages burst into bloom in the greenhouses.

With Dumbledore gone, there was barely a face to be seen in the school that didn't look worried and tense, and any laughter that rang through the corridors sounded shrill and unnatural and was quickly stifled.

Hagrid's hint about the spiders was far easier to understand. The trouble was, there didn't seem to be a single spider left in the castle to follow. Most of their fellow students seemed glad that they were being shepherded from class to class by teachers, but Heroneka, Harry and Ron found it very irksome.

One person, however, seemed to be thoroughly enjoying the atmosphere of terror and suspicion. Draco was strutting around the school as though he had just been appointed Head Boy. Most of the time, Heroneka spotted Pansy Parkinson with Draco. He had stopped talking to Heroneka and wasn't even looking at her. Heroneka didn't know what had happened to him and chose not to ask.

Heroneka didn't realize what he was so pleased about until the Potions lesson about two weeks after Dumbledore and Hagrid had left, when, sitting right behind Draco, she overheard him talking to Crabbe and Goyle.

"I always thought Father might be the one who got rid of Dumbledore," he said, not troubling to keep his voice down. "I told you he thinks Dumbledore's the worst headmaster the school's ever had. Maybe we'll get a decent headmaster now. Someone who won't want the Chamber of Secrets closed. McGonagall won't last long, she's only filling in..."

Snape swept past Heroneka. He did not comment on Hermione's empty seat and cauldron.

"Sir," said Draco loudly. "Sir, why don't you apply for the headmaster's job?"

"Now, now, Malfoy," said Snape, though he couldn't suppress a thin-lipped smile. "Professor Dumbledore has only been suspended by the governors. I daresay he'll be back with us soon enough."

"Yeah, right," said Draco, smirking. "I expect you'd have Father's vote, sir, if you wanted to apply for the job - I'll tell Father you're the best teacher here, sir--"