chapter 13

The days leading up to the 4th were full of lake activities, board games, and party prep. Elle enjoyed the relaxing moments spent on the water, but she missed Cate terribly. Thankfully, today was the 4th, so she didn't have to wait much longer to fill the absence in her heart.

It was a Miller tradition to hold an annual 4th of July party for extended relatives, family friends, and neighbors. Elle was in the kitchen cutting up watermelon for a fruit bowl. Dylan stood by her side, absently cutting up a cantaloupe, but mainly supervising Elle with the use of a sharp knife.

Guests were expected to arrive around 2. It was around 11 now, and Christina and David both fluttered around the house doing tasks to prepare for the impending arrival of people. David was setting up a ping pong table in the garage and Christina was making sure the backyard patio was arranged to perfection.

Pearl yipped at Elle's feet, hoping for some food to fall off the counter. Elle sliced an apple and fed it to the dog in tiny chunks.

"The bond between the two of you is revolting," said Dylan.

"Don't project your jealousy onto me," said Elle as Pearl licked her fingers greedily.

Dylan laughed and changed the subject. "So, when is the love of your life arriving?"

Elle pulled out her phone. Nothing from Cate.

"I don't know," said Elle. "She didn't tell me what time she was coming and she hasn't answered my texts all morning. I want to assume she's on a plane, but she certainly would have told me if that was the case."

"Maybe she wants to surprise you."

As if on cue, the girls heard a low hum of a car engine pulling into the driveway. Elle wiped her hands on the kitchen towel.

"Are you expecting any family early?"

"Not to my knowledge."

Elle lit up when she looked out the kitchen window and saw the white Porsche parked in the Miller's driveway. Cate emerged from the vehicle in a simple pair of light wash denim shorts and a white linen blouse. And she was wearing her glasses! Elle buffered for a few moments as she stared at her beautiful girlfriend, then sprinted outside faster than she'd ever run before, Pearl nipping at her heels.

When Elle reached her girlfriend, she threw her arms around her neck, standing on her tiptoes. Cate was caught a bit off guard, so she stumbled backwards into the side of her car.

"Oh! Darling!" exclaimed Cate, laughing. She hugged Elle tight, rubbing a hand up and down her back.

Cate's hair smelled of fresh vanilla and a hint of lavender. Elle nuzzled her head into Cate's neck to indulge in the familiar scent.

"I missed you so much," mumbled Elle.

"I missed you too, baby," whispered Cate, kissing Elle's cheek.

Dylan casually strolled out of the house, yelling, "Yo, lovebirds!"

Elle's arms slipped from Cate's neck as she stepped back from the woman, placing her heels firmly on the ground again.

Pearl growled at Cate, but it wasn't that convincing.

"Meet Pearl, the dog who acts like Elle is some savior sent from above," said Dylan with a hard edge in her voice.

"Well, I'm quite similar to Pearl in that regard," chuckled Cate. Her shoulder length blonde waves moved freely in the light breeze.

Pearl growled again, but this time it was softer, more curious than aggressive.