Chapter 1

Mercedes Jones yawned as she woke up. She got up and began going through her waking routine. By the time she got out the shower, she felt squeaky clean and reinvigorated.

She went downstairs in her house to the spacious kitchen and accepted a mug of specialty coffee from her personal chef. "Thank you, Darla."

Darla Remington smiled. "You're welcome, ma'am."

Mercedes sat at the table and sipped her coffee. Luckily she had her iPad and was able to get caught up on the morning's news. By the time her breakfast was ready, she knew about the incoming snowstorm halfway around the world.

Based in California, USA, that usually wouldn't matter but it was two months until Christmas and her family always took vacations during that time. They traded hot and cold locales and this year was cold. She hated the cold but loved cold activities so it was fine.

What was not fine was her iPad ringing with bad news. She pressed the green button. "Good morning, Quinn."

"Mercy! I've got the perfect guy-!"

"Quinn!" Mercedes groaned. "I don't need you setting me up! I'm fine alone!"

"But it's Christmas." Quinn Puckerman had a definite pout to her tone. "No one should be alone on Christmas."

"What about our family?!"

Quinn made a sound. "We're all married with kids!"

"Not Maddie and definitely not Lisa or the boys."

"They're little!" Quinn scoffed.

"Maddie is eighteen."

"Little."

"Okay, fine." Mercedes sighed and gave up. She always did. Her twin could beat a body down like nobody's business. "Who is it?"

"His name is Azimio Adams-"

"The football coach?"

Quinn grew verbally excited. "Yes! I knew this was a good idea!"

"No! That's almost as bad as dating a football player!"

"But he's so cute!" The pout was back.

Mercedes could cry. She was such a sucker for her family. "Alright."

"Yes! Now I'll come over later and pick out your outfit."

X

Mercedes returned from her date exhausted and drained. Azimio seemed nice enough but he wasn't for her. The dinner had been awkward and strained. They had nothing in common besides matching skin tones.

But Mercedes knew why her sister picked him. Quinn only cared about looks and Azimio was easy on the eyes.

Mercedes blew out a breath as she went upstairs, going through her night routine. Halloween was coming up and she was dateless, again. What was she going to do?

X

Sam Evans finished his rep and took a large draught of water from his bottle.

His trainer hit his back. "Good work!"

"Thanks, Jase."

"What's ya plans for Halloween?" Jason "Jase" Peters sat across from his client and best friend.

Sam groaned. "Nothing. I don't have work so I have zero plans."

"I'm going to a costume party. Come with."