Chapter 3

Sam was daydreaming while he waited for his best friend to show up. He was so lost in thought, the man scared the daylights out of him when he slapped his shoulder suddenly. "Ah!"

Jase laughed. "Are you alright?"

"That's not funny!"

"I'm laughing."

Sam glared at him.

Jase grinned. "Why didn't you tell me you were dating MercyCat Jones?"

All of that confused Sam. "What?"

"You were at the Fabanges Annual Halloween Bash. Everyone knows."

"Whoa, whoa, what?"

"Yeah. You're mingling with the most famous, richest family in the world."

Sam paled. "What?"

X

Sam ran a hand through his light hair as he finished his research on Mercedes and her family. They didn't seem all that different than any other family he'd known growing up but then again it was a party.

He blew out a breath. He was in trouble.

X

It was late at night when Sam's phone rang. He groaned, the ear splitting noise making him cranky. He grappled for the device and hit the talk button aggressively. "Yeah?"

Screaming was his answer.

He woke up at that. "Hello?!"

"You're dating MercyCat Jones!"

"Stacie?" He frowned in pure confusion.

Stacie Evans, his fifteen year old sister screamed again. "You're dating a superstar!"

"Give me the phone, Stacie." Sam could hear his mother, Mary Evans in the background.

"But Mom-!"

"Phone."

Stacie let out a huge sigh and Sam could hear the phone being traded hands. "Hello?"

"Sammy." Mary said in her mom voice, which belied his childhood nickname. "Are you dating Ms. Jones?"

"Mom, it's like 2 in the morning."

"Is she there with you?" Mary whispered.

"Mom!" His cheeks bloomed.

"Call us in the morning! You have to tell us everything! Well not everything but enough-!"

"Mom, okay! Can I please go back to sleep?!"

"Yes! But remember your protection-!"

"Mom!"

Mary eeped before hanging up. "Love you!"

He sighed deeply before setting his phone aside. He ran a hand through his hair, trying to understand what the hell just happened.

X

Mercedes picked up her phone as she was trying to write a new song. "Hello?"

"Mercy, it's me."

"Hi, Quinn."

"What's wrong? Sam couldn't have messed up already. I'm calling Marc and Mikey-!"

Mercedes came alive. "No! He did nothing wrong! I'm just writing a song."

Quinn was quiet for a moment. "Okay. When are you seeing him next?"

"I don't know, Q. He hasn't called."