Chapter 10

Mercedes stayed in her room for two days, skipping opening gifts, church, brunch, dinner and other activities after Christmas. She cried the whole time.

On the 27th, she emerged from her room and saw her family had waited on her. She burst into fresh tears.

Everyone began talking at once then Mal whistled.

"I think Mercy needs to get some things off her heart." Marcy said slowly. "Whatever you need to tell us, we will listen to, Mercy."

Mercedes loved Marcy. "I'm so sorry. I lied to all of you and brought a stranger around. All I have are my apologies."

"Not that." Marcy frowned.

"What?"

"The reason why you did it."

Mercedes' lips trembled.

Laura could see how broken up and scared she was. "Honey, you can talk to us."

"I can't."

"Yes, you can." Quinn felt bad.

"You're not listening. I can't talk to you. You don't listen to me."

"Me?!"

"All of you but yeah. You, Q. I kept trying to tell you I was fine single but you guys push and pry and pick everything apart. You're always in my business. Nobody is ever good enough. Including me." Mercedes cried silently.

"Why wouldn't you be good enough?" Judy Fabray was heartbroken by her hurt whisper.

"Because I'm unmarried and childless. Everyone our age has a family now but me. At least Lond has Finn. I'm alone and lonely. I see it everyday."

"We make you feel like that?" Jeanette Chang began weeping herself.

Mercedes bowed her head but nodded.

"Mercy, that's not true." Marc frowned. "We love you."

"More than anything." Mike put in.

"Mama, we'd die for you." Puck added.

"The reason we run your boyfriends off is because they aren't good enough for you. Not us." Mal admitted. "We want you to be happy."

"You do?" Mercedes blinked in awe.

"Of course we do, honey." Laura was distraught. "If you're not happy, we're not happy. It only works with all of us."

"That's the only reason why I keep trying to set you up." Quinn said. "I'm so sorry, Sissy. I guess I don't listen to you. I never want you to feel as though I don't love you or value you as you are. I do."

"We love you, Mercy!" Maddie, Lisa, My-My, Matty and Russy cried.

"I lied to you." Mercedes felt shame from that.

"Because you felt you couldn't be honest with us." Rose felt shame from that. "Because we wouldn't let you."

"Princess, you don't ever have to be anything other than who you are." Marcus told her.

"We will always love you." Michael chipped in. "After everything this family has been through, we should be better at showing it."

"We love you, Tia!" All her nieces and nephews shouted.

"We love you, Mercy." Tina and Ellen spoke softly.

"You are loved, Mercy." Marcy told her. "By us. You don't need a man. You've got family."

Mercedes swiped at her wet cheeks. "I love you guys, too!"

They all hugged her, taking turns.

For the first time in a long time, Mercedes felt whole.