Chapter 5: Next Door (Part 1)

Cameron was eight when his dad Louis remarried. Cameron's mother, Tonya had passed away before he could remember. Most of his memories had been filled with memories of his dad's girlfriend and now wife Emily. Emily was a sweet beta woman, she lived in a nice neighborhood away from the city. So, after his father and her married, they moved into her house. Emily's house was bigger than anything Cameron had ever lived in. It had six bedrooms and three bathrooms, there were three floors and Cameron was sure he'd get lost in it if he strayed too far away from the familiar parts of the house.

It was a big move and there were a lot of changes. A new house, a new mom, a new school. Cameron remembered how everything just seemed to build up on top of each other into this massive tower that felt like it was going to come tumbling down on him at any moment. It was overwhelming and scary. It made Cameron miss how things used to be. At least then he knew what to expect.

Emily's house was located just outside of the city, so Cameron took this time during the summer when they moved in to explore the area around his house. He had always lived in cities to be close to everything. His dad didn't like the idea of not being able to get to him quickly enough in case something happened. So, to be surrounded by all this nature was a new experience for him.

While normally Cameron would've shyly begun to insert himself into the local group of kids. There wasn't much of that out here. While there were neighbors close by, they were always far away (at least compared to apartments) and some of them were even separated by thick patches of woodland. Sure, in all actuality it probably wasn't as many trees as Cameron thought they were. But to him, it might as well be a forest.

The closest house to Emily's house was a colonial-style home that was separated by a handful of trees that reached from one house to the other. Cameron's bedroom was on the very same side as where those trees grew. The biggest among them, a large old oak stretched between the two houses. Its branches nearly touching both buildings.

So, because it was summer and there wasn't as much to do out here as there was in the city. Cameron decided to explore some more. He packed himself a small bag with his favorite snacks and book. He even stuffed his favorite stuffed animal into the bag just sticking out. While back in the city he wouldn't have been caught dead carrying this outside. But he felt safe enough to let Momo the monkey go exploring with him out here. After all, who was going to see him carrying around a toy? Besides, it was nice to have a friend with him.

Finding a spot by a small stream some few yards from the house, Cameron pulled Momo from the bag with his book and sat down on a log to read. The sound of the trickling water and birds was relaxing. A rustling of the branches above him put him at ease. "Oh hey, I love that book!" A sudden voice rang out from behind him just above him. Cameron let out a shrill scream both Momo and his book going flying. Thankfully, not landing in the water. Cameron whipped around to find a young girl hanging upside down from a branch staring at him.

"Huh, you're pretty jumpy, aren't you?" She asked with a calm look on her face. "Who are you!" Cameron couldn't help but shout. "Taylor." She replied sucking on her teeth a bit. "I live next door." She added before effortlessly lifting herself up and jumping down from the branch. "You're Emily's new stepkid." She remarked slipping off her hooded jacket and tying it around her waist. "Carson... Carley...." Taylor snapped her fingers trying to figure out Cameron's name, "It's Cameron." Cameron cut her off snapping at her annoyed. "Oh," Taylor replied, Cameron, shot her a dirty look before walking over and picking up his things. He picked up his book first and then Momo. He dusted off the colorful monkey and hugged her. Silently he apologized to the toy for dropping her.

"That's a cute monkey," Taylor remarked from over Cameron's shoulder. Cameron jumped again with a yelp. "Stop sneaking up on me!" Cameron whined. "Sorry." Taylor apologized with her hands up, "Didn't mean to spook you." She mumbled taking a step back. Taylor gave Cameron a friendly grin, it was sort of lazy and relaxed. Her smile was a bit crooked in nature as if she had never quite learned how to perform those photogenic smiles that Cameron had perfected when he was little due to his father taking pictures of him constantly.