Chapter 11 : Soured Discussions

"...knowing that it's the calm before storm isn't the most comfortable thing..."

Lying down on the cot, Aira found herself unable to sleep. She would think of what happened in the story and thus when to expect Zabuza and Haku's attack, but time just stretch on until she tiredly realized that it was already dawn.

The next morning, Hatake Kakashi began chakra control lessons for his students(Team Seven) to prepare them for the upcoming fights while Team Hayate focused on Reconnaissance. Akira used his bees to try and track down their enemies while Raijin stood guard of Akira, Tazuna and Tsunami.

As for Aira and Gekko Hayate, they accompanied Miyabe Rie for a meeting with the head of the Land of Waves.

* * * * *

"...we thank the diplomat of the Land of Fire for their interest."

A dignified old man dressed in formal robes greeted them at the meeting table. His very appearance seemed to be a testimony to how far the nation had fallen. Dark circles, saggy skin and clear signs of starvation. His robes, which could be considered good for a middle class family, would be a pittance considering it was being worn by the top of the nation.

His eyes moved from Miyabe Rie to Aira, who Rie had pulled into the meeting. Gekko Hayate stood guard outside the room. Given that Aira did not seem like a shinobi, it was hard for him to take a woman and child duo seriously.

"Not in the least, the pleasure is ours. It is a beautiful nation." Miyabe Rie replied amicably, pretending not to notice his indifference.

'Well, the waterscape and the greenery certainly can be called beautiful.' Aira sighed.

The atmosphere was not conducive to a proper discussion at all. Both the parties looked down on the other.

"So what is it that the Land of Waves wishes to discuss with us?" The acting head of the Land of Waves, Yanagishi Nobuo asked.

Rie explained how the Fire Daimyo was willing to help the Land of Waves rebuild their industry. In terms of explanation, she spoke clearly without using flowery words. Straight to the point and directly as partners in an equal discussion. Aira, who had naturally heard her look down on this nation's management all the time, could only applaud her ability to mask her real thoughts.

As expected, diplomacy was suited to those who knew how to wear a mask on their personal thoughts.

Yanagishi Nobuo, listened to her patiently but there was no sign of him going along with anything she said. The situation with Gato must have drained all hope from him, they didn't even bother to seek favorable terms.

It was towards the end of the discussion that he bluntly responded. "Miyabe-san, you saw the state our nation is in. We are not in a position to discuss development at the moment."

Meaning, they are not even in a break-even state, talking about investments for future profits was tomfoolery.

If he had no intentions, he could have refused from the get go. Instead, he wasted Rie's time. Even if it was her initiative, it was courtesy to consider the pains of someone who travelled so far for a business transaction.

Red-faced, Miyabe Rie was about to get up when Aira held her hand. Surprised, she turned towards Aira, only to see the latter looking determinedly at the Nobuo. If the two parties could not have a favorable discussion, then she could try to bring them to the same page as a third party.

"Miyabe-san, do you remember when I mentioned Bowl of porridge on a cold night?" Aira said, softly. "If you give a bowl of porridge to a beggar on a cold night, it may help him survive the night. But it will not solve his fundamental problem – food, fire and roof above his head. It will be a timely, but a temporary relief."