Chapter 4 : The graduation exams

Late at night, Yomaura Eisen visited the Hokage office.

Even though it was close to midnight, Sarutobi Hiruzen sat behind the desk, his pipe lit as hazy smoke circled the room. In front of him seemed to be a never ending pile of documents.

"Eisen, good to see you make it in time."

"As for sensei...you'll never make it to the end. You take on too much load." Eisen said, turning his head away from the documents.

As the Hokage, there was no need for Hiruzen to do so much paperwork since all administrative tasks are delegated. As for the ones on his desk, they were all confidential information that Hiruzen personally managed to protect the village and its ninjas.

"But after monitoring Ryuugamine Aira for five months, you should be able to see the worth in keeping an eye out for talent."

Eisen couldn't disagree.

Ryuugamine Aira was nothing compared to the greatest geniuses produced by the Academy like Hatake Kakashi or Uchiha Itachi but she had different type of talent. She was like a sponge, despite being a commoner(non-ninja background) she was at the top of her class with ease, even able to follow chuunin and jonin level knowledge. She may have average chakra levels but she controlled it perfectly, like pouring liquid into a mound without spilling a drop.

"But why did you choose to monitor her?"

"When she first entered the village, she suffered from amnesia. During her altercation with the bandits, she first moved to the Matron who needed help the most. She was quick to decide her career and is persistent in her efforts - Eisen, does she look like a poor girl who found herself in the middle of nowhere, rendered helpless by amnesia?" Hiruzen said as he looked outside the window, in the direction of the orphanage.

"The Konoha orphanage has two types of people - those who have given up and those who have gone above and beyond to make it out. I let her in because I pitied her situation and found her smart enough to soon be able to earn her bread and butter but..." Hiruzen's face turned dark. "The orphanage has a darkness that Meiko-san has been protecting the child from. Ryuugamine Aira is a talent wasted if given to ROOT."

"More than wasted, it is a threat." Eisen countered. " If we continue on his way, the village will be protected because there will be no one left inside to protect. Aira is meticulous. Her thinking is not that of a child...she protects those in front of her instead of cutting them off but if way of thinking is altered by Danzo's training..."

"Fighting is not the only skill to have. We live in an era of peace and face a future of conflict more complicated that merely swinging fists around. Without intellect we would be left in the last generation's paradigm. Ryuugamine Aira, Nara Shikamaru, Haruno Sakura...these are the type of talents I want to develop." Hiruzen replied with a smile.

"As I grow old, I want to rest. I would be able to rest in peace only if I have the next generation ready to handle the mantle. When your generation becomes the head, they would be in your shoes. They need to be able to handle it."

* * * * *

20th March.

Aira woke up and took a deep breath when she saw the bright red circle marked along with the words 'Graduation Exams', more commonly known as Genin exams.

15 months had passed since she entered the village. Silly, but she had decided to wait a few more months just so she could give her graduation exams with the canon characters.

Changing into a plain black top, shorts and shinobi shoes, she packed her bag and went downstairs for breakfast.

"Aira, do your best. I know you'll do well." Kizawa Meiko, the Matron wished her for the exam.