Chapter 29 : Reminiscing the old times

Gaara P.O.V

Chiyo : Gaara...what on earth was that?

Gaara: About what?

I knew what they were talking about. My fight with Ryuugamine Aira. My anger hadn't cooled down yet. My family taking her side wasn't making things better.

Temari: You know what we are getting at! I've seen how you've been handling Aira for the past year. Anyone would have lashed out if they were in her place.

Gaara: What do you know about her? She never reveals her plans. She doesn't trust us and...she has a lot of questionable 'contacts'.

I stopped myself from mentioning that Aira knew where Akasuna no Sasori was. I was angry with Aira. Doesn't mean I want to see Chiyo obaa-sama's look of hurt.She treated Aira as more than her daughter.

Chiyo: So?

Gaara: So? How can we trust Aira with our village's secrets? Honestly...it's unbelievable that Aira would go so far for no benefit. She gets no money, no fame or position in exchange for what she is doing. What if she simply doing all this so that she can takeover the village? She is indirectly ruling the village anyway-

I held my cheek in shock. Did Temari just...slap me? Why didn't the sand protect me? Shukaku's been quiet for the entire year. Chiyo obaa-sama glared at me. She didn't admonish Temari at all. Kankuro didn't meet my eyes.

Kankuro: Gaara...she gave away her affiliation with Konohagakure for you...for Sunagakure. She secured us funding, she turned you from a killing machine to a human. She made you Kazekage. She connected you with me, Temari, Obaa-sama and the village. She reformed the council from within. She got us funding, jobs and support from Land of Iron...and she took nearly nothing in return. All the time she keeps researching to make our lives better...to make Sunagakure better...so what if she has 'questionable' contacts? What if she is simply deriving information from them to protect the village? What if the rumor of her having 'questionable' contact itself was false?

I listened quietly.  I had thought of that so many times in the past year. We were extremely obliged towards Aira but...even Naruto is working hard because he wants to be acknowledged. Aira has personally gained nothing since her arrival in Sunagakure two years ago. It's unbelievable...the theory of her trying to betray the village is more believable. I wish to protect Sunagakure with my life...that is why I shall keep a close eye on everyone and Aira was extremely suspicious.

Temari: Actually there might be a reason why Aira is working so hard for us...if it is true...then what you did to Aira is plain horrible.

Gaara: A reason? What might it be?

Temari looked at Chiyo obaa-sama. Obaa-sama looked like she knew what Temari was talking about.

Chiyo: Gaara...what if Aira has been helping us all this time because...she loved you?

Aira P.O.V

Gaara, you idiot...

You big, big idiot!

No...I don't want to do this...stop...

"Aira-sama, are you all right?"

I rubbed my eyes furiously but my tears wouldn't stop flowing. Kakeru looked at me in shock. He was trying to console me... but the more he tried to calm me, the more I cried. 

It hurt...the look Gaara gave me hurt so badly. What had I done to deserve it?

Kakeru: I won't forgive Gaara. I won't forgive him for hurting you...

Aira: How do you know that I'm hurt because of Gaara?

Kakeru: I've been watching over Aira-sama all this time. I have seen how he treats you. Why did you make someone like him the Kazekage? Someone like you is better suited to rule-