Chapter 10

The battle between the demon lord and our hero has begun at last...

Hmm, however you slice it, the demon lord seems to have the edge. I mean, our hero is no slouch, but the demon lord seems to be even better still. Our hero's shoulders are already heaving, and yet, the demon lord hardly even seems winded. I think I can already tell how this will turn out.

"Grr... The demon lord of the northern lands was nothing compared to this."

"I had no idea you would prove so capable. You are truly deserving of the title of 'hero.' The battle is now over, however."

"Let it end here, o demon lord, The outcome is decided. Let us let the hero leave here unharmed. No, wait, this will never do. If I do not also return with him, the king and queen, my mother and father, would never sit still for it..."

  There has to be some way of persuading my parents to accept my decision to remain here...

"Wait, I think I've got it. How about we do this? First, I write my will... And then I take off my shoes... And now, if you will let me have that blade of yours for a moment, o hero, so that I can cut off my hair... There. Now, would you be so kind as to give these things to my father the king?"

So saying, I tried to make our hero take my shoes, my hair, and the will that I had just scribbled down. All I got in return, however, was a blank, uncomprehending stare. Which only makes sense, seeing as how I hadn't bothered to explain the situation to him. So I stopped and told him the way things were, ending by saying that I was resolved to living with the demon lord, in his castle.

"So that is what this is all about. If that be your wish, Your Highness..."

"Hero, I am resolved to live with the demon lord in his castle. Thank you for your understanding, o hero."

"It's nothing. It seems I am no match for the demon lord at present, so it is only right for me to withdraw from the field."

"So you realize that the time to part has come. In that case, allow me to give you a token of my esteem, by healing your wounds, like so. Snap!"

Wow! With just a snap of his fingers, the demon lord is making the wounds our hero suffered in their battle go away.

"It's like a magician's trick. Amazing."

"I keep telling you, it's real magic."

"Oh, my wounds are sealing themselves. Thank you. And with that, I will take my leave."

"Oh, by the way..."

To Be Continued