Chapter 3

The man outside my window told me that he was, in fact, the demon lord...

"This is what I really look like. While I suppose I could change my appearance to look the way you suggest, to take on such a fearsome form would seem to me to be a sign that one lacks confidence in one's ability. Besides, I also felt that there was no need to go out of my to frighten you."

"So what you're saying is, you're so tough that you don't have to do that sort of thing. Well, then, how can you prove your might to me, o demon lord?"

"I will triumph in battle against the hero."

"Yes, I suppose that if you were to do that, you would have to be mighty. From what I understand, though, our hero doesn't like to do battle without cause. So I doubt he'd give you a fight simply because you asked for one."

"In that case, I ask you to let me take you away with me, Your Highness."

I wonder what connection there could be between a good idea for getting our hero to show his might, and my being abducted by the demon lord...

"Excuse me? What, exactly, do you mean by that?"

"If you were to be abducted the king of this land would almost certainly command the hero to bring you back. Of course, if the abduction of the Princess by the demon lord does not bring the hero at a run, royal command or no, then the effort will have been for naught, wouldn't you agree?"

"Now I see... You mean to get our hero to come to your castle, and fight you to bring me back home. That would certainly give me the chance to see what the two of you are like in battle... OK, it might work. But what should I be doing in the meantime? I mean, if I try to hide here, someone is likely to find me soon enough anyway, so I guess I have no choice but to come to your home..."

To Be Continued