𝐱𝐱. the bolter

CHAPTER TWENTY
butterfly's repose — part two
" 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖇𝖔𝖑𝖙𝖊𝖗. "

     "𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐃𝐎𝐍'𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐊 𝐈𝐓'𝐒 𝐓𝐎𝐎 𝐌𝐔𝐂𝐇?" Selene asked Lily as the pair of them looked into the mirror together.

     "Definitely not," Lily said. "You look hot."

     Selene turned into a werewolf once a month ─ these were words she quite frankly never thought she'd hear coming out of someone else's mouth in reference to her appearance. 

     As Lily carried on straightening her ginger locks, her purple boots the only piece left to put on to finish her outfit, Selene debated if she was truly ready not only to put on a werewolf hat but to brave a party as big as this one too.

      She wore a long mesh shirt, her dark hair cascading in loose curls down her back. Her skirt was short and grey, her tights ripped and holed. Selene held the mask in her hands and considered leaving it behind for a moment. She wouldn't have to wear it all night. And it was just a hat, right? Sure the teeth were gnarly, the fur just like hers. But it didn't represent her, because this was a choice.

     One she made bravely as she walked down the spiral stairs from Lily's dorm room and into the already crowded Gryffindor common room. The party was booming, the costumes varied and colourful. The lights were dim, the music loud, the drinks flowing.

     The initial nerves that Selene got from entering such a new environment soon dissipated however when James Potter sauntered over to the two girls. Dressed as Fred Jones. In other words, Lily's character's boyfriend.

     Selene enjoyed being an outside party to the interaction ─ seeing James' knowing smirk and the realisation slowly forming on Lily's face, morphing her once excited look into one of utter disdain.

     James said hello to Selene first, surprisingly. What was even more shocking was that he hugged her upon greeting ─ a tight, very James-like squeeze that she didn't quite know how to return but she did her best.