Chapter 27

"Take a seat." Vaughn gestured to the empty chair next to her mother with his own chair on the other side of the desk.

Her heart thumped in her chest – a constant hammer – as she smoothed her skirt down and took a seat.

She knew what this should be about. Her ability had been gone for too long now and she said she would visit the school soon. But I wasn't supposed to let anyone know outside of the people who already knew know (...because family reputation...) but instead the entire school knows now.

Narisa's eyes burrowed into her as she stared down at the floor.

"As you requested, the students have been expelled and are currently being charged. They won't need Seraphina's testimony to get life in prison," Vaughn explained as he sat down in his own chair, hands clasped in front of him on the desk.

"We are seeking the death penalty if we can, assuming there is no plea deal, which the leader of their group appears to be opposed to," Narissa replied. She sat with her back straight in the chair, hands in her lap. "As you stated, it would be most secured with Seraphina's testimony about the ordeal."

Why did they start with this? Why couldn't they start with her getting her ability back? Or at least introduce her to do this?

"These are children we're talking about. All the students involved are below the age of 18. The part of the brain with common sense does not fully develop until the age of 25. They do not have the experience to know all the consequences of their actions. It was their ignorance that led them to commit and the structure of our society to lead to-."

"Kidnapping a low-tier is different to a high-tier. They're simply different people. No matter what has occurred to Seraphina the normal punishment for kidnapping a high-tier is death."

When she first talked to Headmaster Vaughn about the incident, she had stated that she didn't want to give testimony. She didn't want to relive it.

"It is Seraphina's choice in the end, though. She is the one who has to tell it and go through the court process."

Narissa nodded. Her fingers curled in on her hand. Her knuckles white.

"So, Seraphina?" Vaughn asked. "Do you want to give the testimony/"

Her heart thumped.

Her breath caught in her throat.

If I say my thoughts, I'll hate it later. As soon as she can, my mother will punish me for it. But I can resist her now – Oh, wait. I can't. I don't have my ability anymore...

A tear rolled down her cheek.

If I don't, I'll have to testify.

She clutched her fists tightly in her lap and her shoulder tensed.

"I'd rather not testify."

The glare dug into her like daggers, ripping through her body to her soul with blood steaming out.

"Are you sure of this, Seraphina? This could be your last chance to help," her mother responded. Her voice cold.

Just a mask here where others could see.

"I don't care what happens to them as long as I never have to see or hear from them again." She crossed her arms over her chest and drilled a hole into the floor with her gaze.

Narissa sighed.

"How long do you know that Seraphina's condition will last?" she asked.

"It's the first time the authorities have seen a condition like hers. They are currently looking not it, but it may take a while. It was thought the drug would wear off after a few days, but it's been two weeks now and there has been no change. The drug may wear off with time, or it could last forever if no cure is discovered."

Narissa glowered as Vaughn continued to speak.

"I'd rather hope it would be as quick as possible. The least harm would occur that way. Physically or to reputation. I doubt it would be easy to use your ability after such time. You would get out of practice."

Vaughn nodded. "That's why we're trying the best we can. Believe me when I say that."

Narissa nodded, even if her expression remained unchanged. Then she was dismissed.

When Seraphina arrived back at the infirmary, there were three locations where the curtains were drawn over the infirmary beds.

...Only two of the Royals were in the infirmary. Enough time has passed so that they all should have been helped here by now...

"Seraphina?" John called after she stood in the doorway for a pause. He stood by the curtain to a bed at one end of the infirmary (which was away from the other closed off beds).

She walked over to the bed and when she was hidden by the curtain, John pulled her into a bear hug. She hugged him back, squeezing him tight, as he gently stroked her back.

"Hey, I'm sorry," he whispered in her ear. "I didn't mean to break my promise to you."

She nodded. "I get it. Or maybe I could if you tell me why you hid your ability and why you played as Joker."

He glanced to the side, but nodded.

A/N: I just almost posted this chapter to Golden Child.

Anyway, sorry for the long wait. I didn't end up writing much whilst I was on the way, so this chapter ended up taking longer. It's also rather short, but the next one hopefully won't be. I don't know how I could make it short.