CHAPTER ONE- SHIRO MAE

SHIRO

As I walk passing through the back door of our household my mom insists I give one of my graduation pictures to my dad. She left us by pardoning herself that she had got to cook dinner. As I continue to walk in our backyard I sight my dad doing something on our broken air conditioner. I took a deep sigh holding the pocket-size picture that I'm about to give to him and I suddenly felt like I was trembling but I didn't know why.

"Dad," I shyly mumbled to him before he turns his head up, and there was a sudden luminous glaze upon him that makes me feel like I'm floating in. It's already 5 o'clock in the afternoon and the evening seems approaching but his smile will always be the brightest and sweetest smile I have ever seen.

I am constantly asking myself these questions: How come a person used to be so optimistic and gentle? And how come a person like him is my father?

"Congrats my dearest daughter" He gleefully tells me in a calm manner. He removes his working gloves and pats my head very gently. I smiled back at him then I took a deep sigh and finally lent my picture.

"Wow! You are so pretty! Just like your mom" He exclaimed with exaggerated movement while looking at my picture.

"Thanks, Dad but I'm really sorry I didn't make it... I mean to be a part of the flying colors--sorry to disappoint you and mom." I said after I murmured my last word.

"It's fine who told you that we were disappointed? We cannot explain how happy we are because of you. The fact you are finally graduating from Elementary School is a great success and pride to us." He smiled once again and I nodded.

"Those medallions are just bonuses. They were actually useless in real life!" He jokingly said with his awkward laugh.

"Hey you two, come inside and help me. Dinners coming" Mom said with her raised voice.

"Yes, we're coming!" Dad responds to her.

We are about to walk on our way home but dad stops, "Oh anyway!" He delightedly said and ran towards his toolbox on the working table. He grabs a fancy package and comes again to where I'm standing.

"Here." He calmly said with a smile on his face.

I am thrilled to open it, I giggled as he gave it to me, and as I opened the present; I saw pastel blue-green hue headphones.

"Wow! I was looking for this headset yesterday at the mall! How come you knew about it, dad?" I excitedly told him.

"Hmm... Just guts!" Dad told me while he gleams and looks at me happily. With the excitement I exhibited to him earlier, I abruptly become awkward for I am not usually that sweet even to my parents. I heard him chuckle and he finally talked.

"Shall we try it on your phone dear?"

"Uhm," I responded. I grab my phone and he assists me to operate it. He places the headset on my ears. I look at him again and see as he shines and it makes it hard for me to glimpse him. I gradually close my eyes and the music starts to play.

As I opened my eyes hastily, I was shocked by my surroundings becoming gray and dreary. I quickly turn my eyes and look where I am. A sudden realization twitched my consciousness as I heard my alarm clock—I am just inside my room and I am dreaming vividly that dream again almost a thousand times. Did I consider it a dream? It is more like a memory. And through all the good and bad memories I had, that memory seems to be a notable one as that simple conversation always appears in my dreams almost every day.

"Hey, Shiro breakfast is ready. Get to turn yourself up and be prepared for school." Mom said with her forceful voice.

"Uhm, I'm getting up" I mumbled while pulling out my blanket and mending it before I stood up. After I took my breakfast and prepared myself to leave, I reached out again to my room and organized my stuff. I put on a bit of makeup and glanced in the mirror. A girl that has a pinkish pale face with a pouty dead rose-colored lip, almond-shaped dark eyes with a mole under it near on cheekbones, and short black hair with sided bangs shows on my reflection.