Hide & Seek

~??? POV~

"E-e-eight... N-nine... Ten!"

The man with the raspy voice had finished counting. I curled up tighter in my hiding spot, covering my mouth to help muffle my panicked breaths. It hadn't even been five minutes before there was a bloodcurdling scream down the hall, followed by a gunshot that silenced the never ending sound. I scolded myself then for choosing such an obvious spot. Who'd hide on top of a fridge? I started taking my hand away from my mouth as my breathing calmed down, but froze at the clicking sound coming from below my position. I sat frozen for what felt like hours waiting for my demise, but it never came. I cautiously scooted to the edge, peeking over the side. Staring right up at me were a pair of lapis blue eyes, glazed over by a white film. I was only able to form one last thought before my world went black.

How can he see me?

~30 minutes earlier; Henry's POV~

I was scanning the crowd within the benches, searching for William to make sure he wasn't in too much pain. I saw familiar faces from when I had preached here and I knew they'd almost surely recognize me. I was in my old preaching outfit with a light coat on top to make my wings not as noticeable. I had my hair styled in a high ponytail to keep it out of my face.

"Here with us today is a retired pastor. He has come to us today to give us a gift, and a lesson. Listen closely to what he says." the middle aged pastor of the small town church announced before stepping down to let me walk up to the altar. As soon as I stepped up I heard surprised gasps coming from the ones who recognized me. I smiled, happy to know they remembered me. I opened my mouth to begin my speech when someone in the crowd started talking.

"You never retired! You were replaced because you stopped believing in God!" One of the older men exclaimed. I recognized him as an old friend of mine when I preached. He loved everyone, no matter their sex, sexuality, or race. For him to dislike someone would take a lot of effort.

"Liam, it's great to see you again after so many years. I guarantee you that I believe in God, but not in the way you think. Now sit down, let me preach."

"Fine."

Halfway through my speech about stranger danger, Liam spoke out once more.

"Are you about to bring up that daughter of yours as an example of what will happen?" he mocked. I felt my anger start boiling towards him then.

"I wouldn't use my own daughter's death as an example to teach others. That is not appropriate." I stated through gritted teeth. He only laughed before another look of recognition passed through his face.

"Wait, wasn't it also your own little affair buddy that took your daughter's life?"

I lost it then. My wings flared out, sending feathers flying. Everyone stared in shock at what they saw. Many got down on their knees to pray and ask forgiveness, and others stood in shock. I heard his footsteps coming from behind, his tail finding its way around my ankle. I kept my wings outstretched still, hiding him from everyone's view until he could regain his composure. He was on holy land as a demon, which was greatly painful for demons of his status. He tapped my back, indicating he was ready. He pulled one of my wings aside and stepped into view. Within seconds people were screaming and scrambling to hide. Liam stood where he was, making sense of everything and that's when he opened his mouth.

"Is that William?! How the hell is he in here if he's a demon!? It hurts them and they need permission from a holy-.."

William had appeared behind the elderly man, a knife held against his throat. He motioned with his head for me to come to them. When I get there he nods his head again for me to start up the original plan.

"To anyone in hiding or in plain sight! We hope you accept our challenge! We'll be playing a round of hide and seek, and the last person found will be spared to learn our deepest secrets. We'll give you till the count of 10 to hide. Let the odds ever be in your favor, everyone."

I chuckled to myself at the joke I made but immediately went silent when I saw the look Will was casting my way. He brought the blade away from Liam's throat and started counting while Liam started bolting for the door.

"O-o-ne... tw-two... th-thr-ee-e... f-fo-ur... fi-ve... s-s-si-x.... S-ev-en..."

Liam didn't make it through the door in time.