Chapter 11 : Shopping

"So, do you think my healing abilities will be strong enough to save someone who's been shot multiple times?"

The Ancient One, ever serene, pours us tea with her usual grace. "Yes, as long as time remains on your side," she replies, her tone measured and calm.

I hesitate for a moment, gathering my courage. "I was wondering..."

She interrupts me with a sigh, a knowing look in her eyes. "You desire a Sling Ring, don't you? Of course, you do." She reaches into her robe and pulls out a Sling Ring, placing it in my hand. "But remember, Miranda, this is not a tool to be taken lightly. Guard it well."

I can't help but smile as I hug her. "You have no idea how awesome you are," I say, feeling giddy like a kid on Christmas morning. "Can you show me how to use it?"

The Ancient One smiles warmly and nods. "Sling Rings are worn on the second and third digits of the left hand. To create a portal, trace your right hand in an anticlockwise circular motion while focusing on a specific destination. Focus, Miranda, and envision where you wish to go."

I slip the Sling Ring on and follow her instructions, concentrating on my bedroom in Stark Tower. Golden sparks swirl in front of me, and soon, a portal forms, revealing my room on the other side.

"Wow... this is incredible." I close the portal, still buzzing with excitement. "Seriously, do you know how cool you are?"

She smiles softly. "Much cooler than Stephen, I imagine."

"Definitely," I agree, thinking of how Doctor Strange would probably freak out if he knew I had this. "I'm probably going to have to hide this from him."

"That would be wise," she says with a knowing smile.

"You know what would be amazing? Seeing the Quantum Realm," I suggest with a playful grin, wiggling my eyebrows.

The Ancient One chuckles again, a rare sound that feels like a gift. "Perhaps one day," she says, her eyes twinkling.
....

"Small double espresso, please." I hand the cashier my card, when suddenly, a voice I know all too well fills the air behind me.

"My, my. Who do we have here?"

I spin around, my heart leaping as I nearly launch myself into Loki's arms. "Loki! When did you get back?" I pull away just enough to look into his eyes, my excitement momentarily masking the seriousness in his expression.

"An hour ago," he murmurs, holding me close. "I thought I'd find you here, indulging in your Midgardian addiction."

I laugh, but the sound quickly fades when I see the cloud of emotion darkening his eyes. "Loki... are you okay?" I ask, my voice softening with concern.

His arms tighten around me, as if he's afraid to let go. "Frigga is dead."

My breath catches in my throat, the ground beneath me seeming to tilt. "What?" The word comes out as a whisper, disbelief and dread twisting my insides. "What do you mean Frigga is dead?"

Loki gently pulls back, just enough to meet my gaze, the sorrow in his eyes piercing through me. He doesn't speak right away, and the silence feels like it's closing in on us. Finally, he leads me to a nearby seat, his hand still holding mine as if it's the only thing grounding him. "Thor's mortal—she found something... a powerful weapon. The Dark Elves came for it... And mother... she's gone," he says, his voice breaking.

"But... the convergence isn't supposed to happen yet," I say, shaking my head as if that could somehow undo his words. Loki's brow furrows at my words, and I realize too late the implications of my actions.