Chapter 13: The Final Exam, Disowned

The dreaded day has come and Hiccup was with Emily and waiting for Gobber to let him in while Stoick gives his speech about the day. Hiccup was fidgeting on his spot as Emily has her staff.

"Hiccup, what if this plan fails? Your father would do something bad if you tried to show them that there's another way to work with the dragons." Emily said as Hiccup just groaned.

"I-I don't know, okay? I'm scared as heck to even step foot in the arena." Hiccup said as he looked up to the cage of the Monstrous Nightmare.

Emily just watched him with pity in her eyes as they were both lost in thought but snapped out of it when Stoick's voice was heard.

"Today, my boy becomes a Viking. TODAY, HE BECOMES ONE OF US!" Stoick announced as Hiccup scoffed while Emily just glared at the roof.

"As if he will become one of you." Emily muttered while gripping her staff.

They heard footsteps approaching and saw that it was Astrid who is equally worried and concerned for Hiccup but Emily is the one who's more worried than anyone else.

"Be careful with that dragon." Astrid told him worriedly but he didn't face her as he was watching Stoick go to his seat.

"It's not the dragon I'm worried about." Hiccup muttered.

Emily kept silent while looking at Hiccup.

"What are you gonna do?" Astrid asked in worry.

"Put an end to this." Hiccup said as he took a deep breath.

"I have to try." Hiccup added before turning to Emily with pleading in his eyes.

"Emily, Astrid, if something goes wrong... just make sure they don't find Toothless and Optimus." Hiccup said as Emily just nodded.

"Come back in one piece." Emily told him as he gave a small forced smile to reassure her.

"We will. Just... promise us it won't go wrong." Astrid said and before Hiccup could even answer, Gobber came to tell him that it's time.

"It's time, Hiccup. Knock him dead." Gobbe said as Hiccup gave Astrid and Emily one last glance before walking and putting his helmet on.

Cheers started to erupt as Hiccup looked around worriedly while Gobber closed the gate and left him to his fate. The two blondes watched him worriedly and anxiously by the gate as Gobber was by Stoick's side as Hiccup walked to the weapon's wrack and picked up a shield and a small dagger.

"Hrmph. I would've gone for the hammer." Stoick grunted.

Hiccup took a deep breath as he glanced at Emily by the gate who gave him a reassuring nod before he faced the gate.

"I'm ready." He said and it was loud enough for everyone to hear as some Vikings pulled the lever from outside the arena.

After a few seconds, the cage doors burst open with the deadly dragon covered in flames and roaring in rage as it crawled everywhere to look for a way out. Hiccup watched it nervously with slight fear as it hung on the ceiling. Emily watched him worriedly as she gripped her staff.

The dragon soon caught a whiff of Hiccup's scent as it looked at him before climbing down and approached the boy slowly in a threatening way. Astrid and Emily watched on worriedly as Hiccup slowly backed away and dropped his shield and weapon to the ground while putting his hands up slowly.

"What is he doing?" Stoick asked in confusion as murmurs of confusion and disbelief can be heard around the arena.

"It's okay. It's okay." Hiccup was able to keep his voice calm in a soothing tone but the dragon was still unconvinced while glancing at his head.