Chapter 11: Busted and Unforgettable Flight

The next day and after a rather awkward conversation last night with Stoick, the two were at the arena for the final day where Gothi chooses who will fight the Monstrous Nightmare tomorrow.

They were against the Gronckle again and quickly went to take cover. Emily purposely made sure that she was out by getting hit by the Gronckle as she looked towards Hiccup who was nervous as heck while wearing the helmet his dad gave him last night.

Astrid had rolled over to where Hiccup was hiding and he tried to move away from her but she stopped him by pushing his shield down and glared at him.

"Stay out of my way! I'm winning this thing." Astrid warned him and Hiccup just gulped.

"Good. Please, by all means." Hiccup muttered quietly as he watched her leave much to his comfort.

He then stood up and looked up to see his dad watching him with a proud smile. He fixed the helmet on his head and forced out a smile but it only faltered. He saw Emily standing to the side who gave him an encouraging nod as he nodded back. He turned around as the Gronckle was flying towards him.

Astrid followed it from behind as she rolled from wall to wall as she was determined to get the honor. She was not gonna let that screw up and runt of the village tale her victory on the final exam tomorrow. Not even Winters would stop her.

"This time! This time, for sure!" Astrid told herself.

She then charged towards the Gronckle with a battle cry and an axe ready to be swung but what she saw was something that shocked her to the core. No! It was supposed to be her! It was supposed to be her victory! Not the runt!

Hiccup was standing just beside the already down Gronckle as he nervously gestured her towards it but her anger just got the best of her as she started to curse while swinging her axe around in anger.

"NO! NO! SON OF HALF-TROLL, RAT-EATING MUNGE BUCKET!" Astrid yelled out loudly in frustration as Emily just looked at her in confusion.

"She could beat a sailor with a mouth like hers." Emily whispered as Hiccup nodded.

"Wait! Wait!" Stoick called out.

Hiccup quickly thought of a way to get away and tried to walk away with Emily but was stopped by Gobber.

"So, later." Hiccup said.

"Not so fast, you two!" Gobber told the two as he caught them and put them back down.

"We're kinda late for-" Hiccup said as he was getting nervous but was cut off by a rather furious Astrid who put her axe against his throat threateningly.

"What?! Late for what, exactly?!" Astrid furiously asked him and he could hardly speak.

"Hey, back off, Hofferson! Leave him alone!" Emily decided to step in and pushed the back towards Astrid who was startled by that.

Emily glared at her dangerously while Hiccup hid behind her as he glanced around nervously to see the reaction of the villagers and saw they were all just stunned by that. Emily huffed and stood beside Hiccup to act as a barrier between him and Astrid.

"Anyway. Okay, quiet down. The Elder has decided." Stoick announced as the elder, Gothi, came forth.

It was an intense silence as Astrid stood up straight in a proud stance as Gobber pointed to her first but Gothi shook her head. Gobber then hesitantly pointed down towards Hiccup, who was praying desperately to any gods out there to not get picked as Gobber gave Gothi a 'are you sure' look. But sadly Hiccup's prayers were unanswered as the elder nodded towards Hiccup and the whole arena burst into cheers and Hiccup had to hide his face on Emily's arm since Astrid was sending him a death glare.