Chapter 3 - The Change

Roman climbed back up the fire escape, the setting sun casting everything in a golden glow. Remus looked up from across the rooftop, giving him a quick nod before going back to his music.

"Sorry I'm late, Rem," Roman apologized. "I got a bit caught up at the Bowery."

"I know," Remus said flatly, not looking up.

"You know?" Roman asked.

"I saw you with that kid. The one that defended the newbies this morning." He shrugged. "I like watching you perform, Roman."

"Oh. Right."

Silence fell over the two of them as Roman went to sit next to his friend, who inched away from him. 

"I don't get why you're mad at me, Remus," Roman said quietly.

"I don't, either," he admitted.

"You're the wordy one. At least try," Roman chuckled.

"I..." He looked at the music he'd written. "I guess I'm scared."

"Of me?"

"No. Not exactly." He frowned. "Here, it's grey and dusty and dark to you, right?" Roman nodded. "And...out there is bright and vivid and beautiful." He gestured vaguely to the west. "But to me, anywhere that you go is the bright place. And if you leave, then..." He curled up on himself. "That's terrifying."

"Of course I wouldn't leave you behind, Remus," Roman said with a smile. "You're my best friend."

"I don't want to weigh you down, though-"

"Hey. Look at me." He did so, pushing away the disobedient tears that had come to his eyes. "You and I are a team. Where you go, I go. And where I go, I'll take you with me."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

~

Roman followed the boys into the yard again, only to find it louder than normal. "Hey, Thomas!" he yelled. "What's happening? Why's everyone...?" He gestured around them.

Thomas pointed at the board, high above them. "See for yourself."

Roman turned his face in the direction of Thomas' hand, squinting in the morning light.

New Newsboy Price: 60 cents per 100 papers

He chuckled. "Relax, they're kidding," he muttered. "Pulwitcher can't be that evil, right?"

Thomas shrugged, following Roman to the counter, where he gave Wiesel two quarters.

"I'll take a hundred," he said.

The man shook his head. "Hundred'll cost you sixty," he answered with a cruel smile, tilting his head at the board.

Roman frowned. "I'm not paying sixty."

Wiesel leaned over the counter. "Then scram."

Roman frowned, taking back his change and starting to pace.

"What are you thinking?" Virgil said as he leaned on the wagons, Patton sitting by his side.

Roman stormed over to them. "We can't just- just let them do that!" he shouted.

"We can't afford to do nothing, either," Remus pointed out. "The church only has so much supplies to give."

"We...We need to do something," Roman added, sitting on a crate as the crowd erupted into arguments.

"There's nothing we can do!"

"That greedy little-"

"Why don't they just do it themselves!"